Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Multiple task_scheduler_init instances

craig06y
Beginner
I'm trying to use TBB in a plug-in for a closed-source app (Autodesk Maya) which itself uses TBB. When I create a task_scheduler_init and specify the thread count (only to check what happens to performance with different values), it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm guessing this is because the host app has already created a scheduler. Is there a way to have my local scheduler instance temporarily override the other one, or discover the other scheduler instance (so I can terminate and later re-initialize it)?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AJ13
New Contributor I
Quoting - craig06y
I'm trying to use TBB in a plug-in for a closed-source app (Autodesk Maya) which itself uses TBB. When I create a task_scheduler_init and specify the thread count (only to check what happens to performance with different values), it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm guessing this is because the host app has already created a scheduler. Is there a way to have my local scheduler instance temporarily override the other one, or discover the other scheduler instance (so I can terminate and later re-initialize it)?

Thank you.

Can you be more specific on "it doesn't seem to have any effect". What did you do / try? How do you know?
0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - AJ

Can you be more specific on "it doesn't seem to have any effect". What did you do / try? How do you know?
First Task Scheduler determines number of threads and cannot be changed by subsequent instances of the scheduler.
0 Kudos