Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2464 Discussions

OS X 10.8.5 with Xcode 5.1 can not build TBB

bluequartz
Beginner

I am trying to build the latest TBB using a standard install of Xcode (Plus command line tools) 5.1.x on OS X 10.8.5. 

[Mine:tbb42_20140122oss]$ cd /Users/Shared/OpenSource/tbb42_20140122oss

[Mine:tbb42_20140122oss]$ make

…….

g++ -c -MMD -g -O0 -DTBB_USE_DEBUG -DUSE_PTHREAD -m64    -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-schedule-insns2 -D__TBBMALLOC_BUILD=1 -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fPIC -I../../src -I../../src/rml/include -I../../include -I../../src/tbbmalloc -I../../src/tbbmalloc ../../src/tbbmalloc/backend.cpp
clang: error: unknown argument: '-fno-schedule-insns2' [-Wunused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future]
clang: note: this will be a hard error (cannot be downgraded to a warning) in the future
make[1]: *** [backend.o] Error 1
make: *** [tbbmalloc] Error 2

Is this a know issue with this version of clang?

Thanks

Mike Jackson

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890

We will look at this. probably it is time to merge gcc and clang configs in the build system since compiler is the same:)

meanwhile you can use 'real' clang:

[bash]make compiler=clang[/bash]

thanks for the report, Vladimir

0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III

I'm not sure yet that, just because Apple has substituted LLVM and Clang in its own distribution (in two steps), TBB should assume that nobody has installed a "real" GCC compiler (some have done just that when Apple stopped tracking newer versions in the preceding step, a GCC+LLVM hybrid). Making Clang the default compiler seems enough for now.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

right Raf, this is one option to keep gcc config and make clang config the default config on osx.

The second option that people can run open source build on older OSX versions where 'gcc' is gcc.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
bluequartz
Beginner

Can the make file detect which OS X version or which version of xcode is being used? I tried this:

[mjackson@Mine:~]$ xcodebuild -version
Xcode 4.6.3
Build version 4H1503

Maybe this could be used to determine which makefile include file to use? I am not a "makefile" guy, I am a CMake guy so most of this is lost on me.

If I wanted to hack on TBB, is there an official git repository for it?

Thanks

Mike Jackson

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

there is nothing to do with xcode. command-line tools version matters.

0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III

Vladimir Polin (Intel) wrote:

there is nothing to do with xcode. command-line tools version matters.

That's a bit strong, considering that the command-line tools are a component of Xcode. Or at least the non-Clang g++ was (I don't see them listed under Xcode>Preferences>Downloads>Components anymore). But even if the command-line tools were updated more frequently than the rest of Xcode (I don't remember), the crucial changes were probably linked with Xcode updates.

(Added) But even if it still seems more logical to probe the command-line tools directly, I also don't see the relevance of acting on these versions: TBB can decide to switch its default compiler independently of what Apple tools the user has installed, there is no clear need to synchronise that.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

I meant you can download/intstall command line tools without installing xcode.

0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III

Vladimir Polin (Intel) wrote:

I meant you can download/intstall command line tools without installing xcode.

I was not aware of that, not for compiler tools provided by Apple anyway.

0 Kudos
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

For a record, we got rid of -fno-schedule-insns2 option in version 4.3.

0 Kudos