Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Reference to 'split' is ambiguous

esilkUW
Beginner

I'm attempting to get a library build on my machine that relies on TBB. It was building previously, then I updated my machine, pulling in the latest version in (2021.1-beta08). I believe I had beta07 before as I originally installed via apt last week.

When building, I'm getting the following error:

/usr/include/tbb/tbb_stddef.h:413:14: error: reference to 'split' is ambiguous
    operator split() const { return split(); }
             ^
/usr/include/tbb/tbb_stddef.h:395:7: note: candidate found by name lookup is 'tbb::split'
class split {
      ^
/opt/intel/oneapi/tbb/2021.1-beta08/env/../include/tbb/concurrent_set.h:199:15: note: candidate found by name lookup is 'tbb::v1::split'
using detail::split;

I made a copy of the offending header to preserve it, and modified the ambiguous calls to "split()" to "tbb::split()" in a bid to resolve the ambiguity.

This, then, builds most of the way, and produces the following error:

/usr/include/tbb/tbb_stddef.h:395:12: error: redefinition of 'split'
class tbb::split {
           ^
/opt/intel/oneapi/tbb/2021.1-beta08/env/../include/tbb/detail/_range_common.h:32:7: note: previous definition is here
class split {};
      ^

Is this a known issue or a way I can correct it locally? Alternatively, is there a way I can downgrade to a prior version of the OneAPI/TBB so I can at least build?

Main system is Ubuntu 18.04, although the same error occurs in a 20.04 Docker container. Happy to provide more details if required.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esilkUW
Beginner

Looks like this an issue with having the OneAPI install and libtbb-dev; apparently tbb_stddef.h no longer exists once I remove libtbb-dev, which CMake in the build is looking for. I assume tbb_stddef.h has been removed; is there a direct replacement or similar?

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Can you install the latest version of Intel OneAPI i.e 2021.2 and check whether the issue persists? If yes, Could you please provide a sample reproducer code?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Is your issue resolved? If not, could you please provide us a sample reproducer?

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

As we have not heard back from you, we are considering that your issue has been resolved. So we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only .

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Santosh

0 Kudos
AG007
Beginner

Hey @SantoshY_Intel  and @esilkUW  I have the same issue but on MacOS Big Sur, have tried everything on earth. How did any of you guys resolve it? Any suggestions will be very helpful. Stuck on it for days.

0 Kudos