Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

SIGSEG / SIGBUS on catching a runtime_error when linked against tbb

Johannes_L_
Beginner

My application is terminated with SIGSEG on access to ::what() when catching a "const runtime_error&" and with a SIGBUS when catching a "runtime_error". This happens even with the most minimal application

#include <stdexcept>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	try {
		throw runtime_error("ERR");
	} catch (runtime_error err) {
		cerr << err.what() << endl;
	}
	return 0;
}

The error only occurs when the application is linked against tbb (libtbb_debug.dylib as well as libtbb.dylib). Everything runs fine when I replace the runtime_error with a logic_error. Despite the weird behavior with the runtime_error, my application works perfectly fine and I can use parallel_reduce and parallel_for as expected.

When compiling the real application (not the snippet above) I get compiler warnings like the following

/opt/intel/tbb/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:167:17: warning: placement new constructing an object of type 'tbb::interface9::internal::start_reduce<tbb::blocked_range<long unsigned int>, erison::SegmentedReduce<0ul, erison::Table<long long unsigned int, double>, erison::Table<long long unsigned int, long long unsigned int, double> >::ReduceBody<erison::SegmentedReduceWorkloads::run(erison::Command&)::<lambda(auto:19&, const auto:20&, auto:21, auto:22)>, erison::SegmentedReduceWorkloads::run(erison::Command&)::<lambda(auto:23&, const auto:24&)> >, const tbb::auto_partitioner>' and size '64' in a region of type 'tbb::task* [2]' and size '15' [-Wplacement-new=]

I use gcc (--version returns g++-6 (Homebrew gcc 6.1.0) 6.1.0) with --std=c++14

Any hints on what is going on and how I can fix this would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Johannes_L_
Beginner

Apparently gcc 6.1.0 was the problem. I switched to llvm (Apple LLVM version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31)) and got rid of the crashes and placement new warnings.

0 Kudos