Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

SSE2 required for use of tbb?

smasherprog
Beginner
Hello,

Simple question that I cant seem to find the answeer to: is a processor that supports SSE2 a requirement to use intel threading building blocks?

I am using another computer to test some network code that I wrote to run on a mutlicore processor. So I need two computers to test the network code(not really, I know I can use 127.0.0.1, thats besides the point). The other computer only supports the SSE intruction set and I cannt seem to be able to compile an exe that does not use the mfence instruction, which causes errors on the other computer. Am I SOL on this?

Also, another question that I know I read the answer to a long time ago, but I forget exactly what the answer was. What is the deal with tbb using 100% of the cores? Does it really hog all the cores so that other applications get a very very small slice of them? Or is what I am seeing just some kind of illusion and the cores are not really being used so heavy?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Hello, right about mfence.

Hardware - Supported
Intel Pentium 4 processor family and higher
Intel Itanium processor family (Linux* systems only)
Non Intel processors compatible with the above processors
To workaround this you can look at the thread.
--Vladimir
0 Kudos