Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Shared memory/mutex/parallel_for

remi_vieux
Beginner
Hi all,

I have a question that might seem trivial to experience multi-threading programmers... I want to do something similar than this "trivial" example, where a memory is shared between threads:

//main.cpp
#include ....

typedef tbb::spin_mutex CopyToSharedMemoryMutex;
CopyToSharedMemoryMutex myMutex;

struct Summer
{
Summer(const std::vector &vect,
int ∑)
: m_vect(vect),
m_sum(sum)
{}

void
operator()(const tbb::blocked_range &r) const {
for (size_t i = r.begin(); i != r.end(); ++i) {
CopyToSharedMemoryMutex lock(myMutex);
m_sum += m_vect;
}

}

const std::vector m_vect;
int &m_sum;
};

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

int sum = 0;
const size_t SIZE = 100000000;
std::vector vect(SIZE, 1);
Summer summer(vect, sum);
tbb::parallel_for(tbb::blocked_range(0, vect.size()), summer);
std::cout << sum << std::endl;

sum=0;
std::vector::const_iterator it = vect.begin();
const std::vector::const_iterator itEnd = vect.end();
for (; it != itEnd; ++it) {
sum += *it;
}
std::cout << sum << std::endl;
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

As you can see, a reference to int sum is passed to the Body object Summer. At first I expected the parallel version not to give the right answer since sum is shared and might not always be correctly incremented. That's why I added the spin_mutex, but the problem remained the same, which I dont understand. Any help, link to appropriate documentation or other forum thread would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Remi

PS: system info, Linux Fedora Core 15, with gcc version 4.6.1
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
You made a copy of the mutex instead of locking it. Instead, do "CopyToSharedMemoryMutex::scoped_lock lock(myMutex);".

I've proposed to make all mutexes noncopyable (which would have alerted you to the problem), as they are in C++11.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
You made a copy of the mutex instead of locking it. Instead, do "CopyToSharedMemoryMutex::scoped_lock lock(myMutex);".

I've proposed to make all mutexes noncopyable (which would have alerted you to the problem), as they are in C++11.
remi_vieux
Beginner
That was indeed the solution! Thank you Raf

Regards