Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

TBB Atomics (64 bit) Failure

jaredkeithwhite
New Contributor I

Has anyone ever seen an instance where TBB Atomics (specifically, unsigned 64 bit integers) failed on fetch_and_add?

I am having the following situation:

- two or more threads concurrently fetch_and_add(1)

- for the first two threads that fetch_and_add, the values returned from those two operations are identical, even
though the addition operand is non-zero. All remaining threads that fetch_and_add return sequential values, as one would expect.

I'm not one to question the capabilities of the Intel Development staff, but has anyone ever seen an instance where the operations were not truly atomic? I am running on 2-socket, Quad Core Intel Xeon 64 bit processors.

*edit

FYI: I'm running SUSE Enterprise Linux 11, and I'm using the Intel Compiler, version 11.1.

-Jared

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

Just afew clarifying questions: in addition to 64 bit processors, do you also use the 64 bit OS, and do you compile the code for 64 bits as well? Also which exactly build of the Intel Compiler 11.1 (i.e. what are the third group of digits in the compiler version? And which version of TBB?

0 Kudos
jaredkeithwhite
New Contributor I

Alexey,

It turns out that once every 70-100 million instances, a very awkward race condition was causing the above problem. So it would seem that the atomics library is indeed doing its job.

I doubt you're still interested, but I'm using 64 bit OS, compiled for 64 bit, and the ICC build number is 056.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

If you can, open a dissassembly window andstep into/through the fetch and add.

Record the address at which the variable lies (checking boundary problems). Report address here. Boundary problems being not aligned on 64-bit address.

Next observe what code is being executed. If you can capture a screenshot or text therefromand post it here that would be nice.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

It sounds you have found and fixed the reason of the trouble; glad to know that :)

In case further assistance is necessary, just ask.

0 Kudos