Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

TBB On Solaris

mikedeskevich
Beginner
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck building TBB on Solaris? My big weakness with the UNIXs is that I'm terrible at Makefiles, so I have a hard time getting stuff to build when the default build settings don't work. I have tried playing around, but with no success.

Here's the output from uname to let you know what I'm trying to build on:
polaris:~/projects/tbb/downloads/tbb20_20070927oss_src/build> uname -a
SunOS polaris 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500

And arch reports:
polaris:~/projects/tbb/downloads/tbb20_20070927oss_src/build> arch
sun4
It looks like in the SunOS.inc file, the only supported architecture is i86pc, there has to be a way to get it to work on the sun archicecture.

Also, gcc verson is 2.7.2

That's all the info I can think of right now. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!
Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_Farnham
Beginner
In a recent interview:

http://www.devx.com/go-parallel/Article/35471

James Reinders said this about TBB and Solaris: "The current [TBB] build works for Solaris on x86. Sun is looking at building with their compilers (instead of gcc) and supporting SPARC as well. The effort is on track to have binaries posted this year, hopefully sooner than later."

I believe Sun itself is working on the problem of getting TBB to work on the SPARC architecture, and this is what is expected to be available by the end of the year.
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
I have not been able to find anything substantial other than the FAQ entry "Will TBB be supported on the Solaris Operating System? - Sun and Intel are working together to support the Solaris platform using Sun Studio software. This contribution is expected during the later half of 2007." and two months of the next year have passed, so I (only just) started trying to port it myself, based on tbb20_20080226oss_src, at least to see what the issues might be (no completion commitment on my part).

If anyone has anything usable or knows how much work it would be or how I could build the current version on SXDE 1/08 anyway (does not seem to work, despite James Reinders' assertion on http://www.devx.com/go-parallel/Article/35471 dated five months ago that "The current build works for Solaris on x86."), please share.

0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
How do I submit my patch if threadingbuildingblocks.org will not accept it (it keeps asking me for a file even though one has already been specified)?
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
As mentioned elsewhere, a Solaris port of Intel Threading Building Blocks was posted today to the latest stable release.
0 Kudos