Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
2421 Discussions

TBB doesn't enable c++11 features with Clang on Linux

Rodion_Malinovsky

Ubuntu 15.04, Clang 3.6, TBB v 4.4, libstdc++

At least some c++ features are disabled. tbb_config.h incorrectly calculates the __TBB_CPP11_RVALUE_REF_PRESENT. In my case it's diabled. This causes also some other troubles. E.g. tbb::concurrent_bounded_queue::emplace is wrapped with both __TBB_CPP11_VARIADIC_TEMPLATES_PRESENT(value is correct) and the __TBB_CPP11_RVALUE_REF_PRESENT. Since __TBB_CPP11_RVALUE_REF_PRESENT = 0 the emplace  is disabled.

Seems to me the problem is in flag calculation. Here is it (tbb_config.h, line 164 )

#define __TBB_CPP11_RVALUE_REF_PRESENT            (__has_feature(__cxx_rvalue_references__) && (__TBB_GCC_VERSION >= 40300 || _LIBCPP_VERSION))

1) __has_feature(__cxx_rvalue_references__ ) reports yes

2) _LIBCPP_VERSION is false. On Linux by default bstdc++ is used

3) __TBB_GCC_VERSION >= 40300, reports also false. I have Clang 3.6 and it reports gcc v 4.2. Why not to check the clang version directly?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_P_Intel2

Hello,

You can use the form https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/submit-contribution to submit a patch for the fix you think should work for both scenarios.

thank you,
--Vladimir

Rodion_Malinovsky

I cannot propose the good patch since I don't know the reason why the check for the rvalue refs is so complicated at the moment. My proposal is to leave actually the single check  (__has_feature(__cxx_rvalue_references__). Such approach was used in the TBB 4.2, also such approach is used in boost::asio. But in TBB 4.4 there are additional conditions. I assume that there are reasons for such complications, but because I have no access to the history of the changes I don't know the background.