Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

TBB for distributed memory ?

afd_lml
Beginner

It seems that TBB is onlywell-suited for shared-memory computers.

Can TBB be used in distributed memory ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee
So yes, TBB is designed for shared memory. Early in the design of TBB, we decided that our target users would not be willing to expend the significant effort required for distributed memory programming, notably marshalling of data structures.

MPI remains the dominant library for production programming on large scale distributed memory machines.

Two of my favorite academic projects that target distributed memory programming are:
  • Charm++ has been around for decades now and has notable successes on large machines.
  • STAPLis a C++ template library that targets distributed memory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890
hi afd.lml,

what kind of distributed memory you are interesting in?
tbb works fine on systems with 32 cores (4 * Intel Xeon CPU X7560) which uses NUMA distributed memory as far as I understand.

--Vladimir
0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee
So yes, TBB is designed for shared memory. Early in the design of TBB, we decided that our target users would not be willing to expend the significant effort required for distributed memory programming, notably marshalling of data structures.

MPI remains the dominant library for production programming on large scale distributed memory machines.

Two of my favorite academic projects that target distributed memory programming are:
  • Charm++ has been around for decades now and has notable successes on large machines.
  • STAPLis a C++ template library that targets distributed memory.
0 Kudos
afd_lml
Beginner
many thanks.
0 Kudos