Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

TBB on Visual studio 2008

noona
Beginner
I get the following error message upon trying to build the examples attached with TBB
"1>Copying DLLs and PDBs
1>$C:\Program Files\tbb22\ia32\vc9\bin\tbb.dll
1>The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.",
C:\Program Files\tbb22 is my installation directory,
I have included the pathC:\Program Files\tbb22\ia32\vc9\lib in library files, and tbb.lib in liker>>additional properties.
Could someone please point out the problem to me or include a link on how to install TBB on VS 2008 ( I have followed the guide in the release notes (or as instructed in this link:
, but as pointed out by other users there's no "use Intel TBB option in the project sub menu)

thanks
thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Quoting - noona
I get the following error message upon trying to build the examples attached with TBB
"1>Copying DLLs and PDBs
1>$C:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9bintbb.dll
C:Program Filestbb22 is my installation directory,
I have included the pathC:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9lib in library files, and tbb.lib in liker>>additional properties.
Could someone please point out the problem to me or include a link on how to install TBB on VS 2008 ( I have followed the guide in the release notes (or as instructed in this link:
, but as pointed out by other users there's no "use Intel TBB option in the project sub menu)

thanks
thanks

Hi, is this open-source release or commercial one? the VS projects are setup for commercial or stable OSS releases so there should be C:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9bintbb.dll file.was msvc plug-in installed?

Vladimir
0 Kudos
noonae
Beginner

Hi, is this open-source release or commercial one? the VS projects are setup for commercial or stable OSS releases so there should be C:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9bintbb.dll file.was msvc plug-in installed?

Vladimir

I downloaded the open source release located here:
http://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/uploads/77/142/2.2/tbb22_20090809oss_win.zip, and I installed the msvc plug in, and I checked if the file is in the specified folder and it is there, yet VS gives me that error message.

0 Kudos
Carey
Beginner
Quoting - noona
"1>Copying DLLs and PDBs
1>$C:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9bintbb.dll
C:Program Filestbb22 is my installation directory,
I have included the pathC:Program Filestbb22ia32vc9lib in library files, and tbb.lib in liker>>additional properties.

thanks
thanks

Rather than setting up the path to the libraries, you need to set up environment variables that point to the tbb install directory. The instructions are in the documentation somewhere, but this is what you need to do:

install TBB in some location, for me this is 'I:threadBuildingBlocks'

Now open the environment variables window in system settings for windows (control panel->system->advanced system settings->environment variables)

and add the following variable:

TBB22_INSTALL_DIR

With the value (in my case) 'I:threadBuildingBlocks'

Add another called LIB
and set its value to (again, referring to my own install directory)
I:threadBuildingBlocksia32vc8lib;

Now add one called INCLUDE

and set its value to:

I:threadBuildingBlocksinclude

Now, to set up visual studio to make use of this.

In project settings 'C++' add the following to 'Additional Include Directories'

"$(TBB22_INSTALL_DIR)include";

And in Linker, add to the section marked 'Additional Library directories'

$(TBB22_INSTALL_DIR)ia32vc8lib;

That should mean Visual Studio can find all the libraries and include directories it needs.

Hope this helps :)
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

It is not the best but the most effective way usually.:)

If you use more than just examples you need to update %PATH% with path to libraries.

--Vladimir
0 Kudos
noonae
Beginner
Quoting - Carey

Rather than setting up the path to the libraries, you need to set up environment variables that point to the tbb install directory. The instructions are in the documentation somewhere, but this is what you need to do:

install TBB in some location, for me this is 'I:threadBuildingBlocks'

Now open the environment variables window in system settings for windows (control panel->system->advanced system settings->environment variables)

and add the following variable:

TBB22_INSTALL_DIR

With the value (in my case) 'I:threadBuildingBlocks'

Add another called LIB
and set its value to (again, referring to my own install directory)
I:threadBuildingBlocksia32vc8lib;

Now add one called INCLUDE

and set its value to:

I:threadBuildingBlocksinclude

Now, to set up visual studio to make use of this.

In project settings 'C++' add the following to 'Additional Include Directories'

"$(TBB22_INSTALL_DIR)include";

And in Linker, add to the section marked 'Additional Library directories'

$(TBB22_INSTALL_DIR)ia32vc8lib;

That should mean Visual Studio can find all the libraries and include directories it needs.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Carey, that solved the problem :)
0 Kudos