Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Terminating problem from parallel_reduce

nuntawat
Beginner

See code snipet below:

[cpp]for(list::iterator iter = (*block_list).begin(); iter != (*block_list).end(); iter++)
{
  // Do someing
}[/cpp]

When for loop iterate all member inside block_list variable, ideally, it should be stopped and exited, but I found that the new thread has come and start iteration again! How do I terminate all threads when it ends iteration? Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - nuntawat

See code snipet below:

[cpp]for(list::iterator iter = (*block_list).begin(); iter != (*block_list).end(); iter++)
{
  // Do someing
}[/cpp]

When for loop iterate all member inside block_list variable, ideally, it should be stopped and exited, but I found that the new thread has come and start iteration again! How do I terminate all threads when it ends iteration? Thanks very much.

I fear there's just not enough context here to make much of a guess about what may be going on with your code. Could you provide more of the details, showing at least how you engaged your iterator in the context of a parallel_reduce call?
0 Kudos
nuntawat
Beginner
I fear there's just not enough context here to make much of a guess about what may be going on with your code. Could you provide more of the details, showing at least how you engaged your iterator in the context of a parallel_reduce call?

There is a lot of codes, but I captured only codes used to determine condition and iterate loop inside.
[cpp]
public:
static currentMutex_t mutex;
static point_t current_point;

void operator() (const blocked_range& range) const { // Begin Queuing Mutex Lock currentMutex_t::scoped_lock lock(mutex, false); int block_num = 0; for(list::iterator iter = (*block_list).begin(); iter != (*block_list).end(); iter++) { local_work(*iter, &block_num, lock); } } void local_work(unsigned char **xc, int *block_num, currentMutex_t::scoped_lock &lock) const { int tmp_x_pos, tmp_y_pos; tmp_x_pos = current_point.x_pos; tmp_y_pos = current_point.y_pos;
for(int i = tmp_y_pos; i < tmp_y_pos + pixel_per_block; i++) { for(int j = tmp_x_pos; j < tmp_x_pos + pixel_per_block; j++) {
// Do sometasks... } }

if((current_point.x_pos + pixel_per_block) < ncols) { if(((current_point.y_pos + pixel_per_block) <= nrows) || (current_point.y_pos == nrows)) { lock.scoped_lock::upgrade_to_writer();
current_point.x_pos += pixel_per_block; current_point.y_pos -= pixel_per_block;
lock.downgrade_to_reader(); } } else if (current_point.y_pos != nrows) { lock.scoped_lock::upgrade_to_writer(); current_point.x_pos = 0; (*block_num)++; lock.downgrade_to_reader(); } }
[/cpp]
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
I have only briefly glanced at the code, but it seems highly problematic that you want to use blocked_range without actually using the parameter range. That's after I never understood what a linear list was doing here, and I still don't see it. Plus there's the current_point navigation: are you certain this wouldn't work better with blocked_range2d on the pixels?
0 Kudos