Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Trouble running sample program

blork98
Beginner
Hello,

I have just downloaded the Commercial-Aligned Open Source version of Intel TBB. I tried running the sample program Sub_String_Finder. The project compiles and links succesfully, however there is a warning ( Command line warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release ) which does not seem serious.

Anyway, the problem I am facing is when I actually run the program in debug mode it seems to go into an infinite loop or something when it reaches this line of code:

[cpp]parallel_for(blocked_range(0, num_elem ),
               SubStringFinder( to_scan, max, pos ) );[/cpp]

I am just wondering if this is a problem with my machine or is anyone else facing it? I am using a dual core windows XP machine and am using Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2008. I am pretty sure I am using the correct lib (C:\\Intel TBB 3.0174\\lib\\ia32\\vc9) and dll (C:\\Intel TBB 3.0174\\bin\\ia32\\vc9).

My machine is a Centrino Duo using Windows XP. I am using Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2008 ( which corresponds to vc 9 i am pretty sure ). I am just wondering if there is anything I am missing, like missing compiler options etc. I have tried building the sample by creating my own project as well as using the project files that came with the download.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee
Hello blork98,

I've installed the same setup: WinXP, VS2008 Express, TBB U6 tbb30_174oss. And I can reproduce your problem. The warning: "warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release" can be removed by switching the following setting to "No":

Project Properties->Configuration Properties->C/C++->General
->Detect 64-bit Portability Issues

I noticed that the sample looks hanging up in this exact loop. I thought there is a real problem, but than noticed that if I decrease value of "N" variable it becomes responsive. Amount of work increases exponentially. It looks like default 23 is too much for my laptop. I tried 5, than 15 and all worked fine. 20 worked but took some time. So I think I just wasn't patient enough to wait when N is 23. Just decrease the value - this should work.

Regards,
Kirill
0 Kudos