Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Using a Mutex in a Destructor

AJ13
New Contributor I
Hi all,

I have designed template classes OwnedObjectVector and OwnedObjectSet, which I am using to maintain ownership of allocated objects. I've done this so that in the case of an exception being thrown, and the destructor being called on OwnedObjectVector, the allocated objects can be freed safely.

Since I am using an ordinary std::vector and std::set in the implementation, I have wrapped my accesses with a mutex. The question which arises however, is whether or not a destructor should use a mutex to access the internal data structures. This is something I need advice on... does it make sense that a destructor should use a mutex?

What if the destructor is called, while other functions are waiting for the mutex? Is that even possible? Is it possible somehow that there is a mutexed call right after the call to the destructor?

What will generally happen with exceptions in TBB code? For example, suppose that a class has multiple executing functions, and one of them throws an exception. What will happen to the other function calls? This is a larger question, which I suspect has already been answered on the forum. I'll search around for an answer to this one.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee

Currently, the task scheduler is not exception-safe. This is something we are currently fixing. Until then, method execute() in a task, or methods of a loop body object should not let exceptions escape.

The rest of your questions need more specific examples/code fragments to answer. In general, I'd be suspicious if destruction of an object must be protected by a mutex, because any other thread waiting to access said object is going to see it in an invalid state. However, if the destructor invokes non-thread-safe operations, then it should be using a mutex. But the mutex should be the one protecting those non-thread-safe operations, not protecting the object.

0 Kudos
AJ13
New Contributor I
I haven't communicated my question effectively here, let me rephrase without a specific example.

How will the destructor in general behave in a TBB application? For instance, is it possible for a destructor to be called while:
  1. A member function is executing?
  2. Other functions are waiting for a mutex within a class, while the destructor is being called?
  3. Could some form of race condition be created because of destructor calls?
Thanks for the response on the exception handling in execute().
0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee
Destructor of what?
0 Kudos
AJ13
New Contributor I
The destructor of a class which has data or member functions accessed by parallel constructs in TBB. These kinds of classes could be called for destruction because of an unhandled exception for example.
0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee
Concurrently accessing an object while its destructor is running leads to undefined behavior in general. That's true of any concurrent programming system.
0 Kudos
AJ13
New Contributor I
I thought that would be the case, but I was unsure (TBB is the first concurrent programming system I have ever used other than Java, I am learning pthreads now to better understand how TBB works).

In the original example I posted, I mentioned that I have ownership classes (these just hold pointers to objects, and the destructor frees memory of the objects) that are able to be accessed concurrently. Suppose that multiple TBB tasks have called a function takeOwnership(Something* object), which passes ownership of the object to the ownership class instance. This function internally adds the pointer to a vector or set, but suppose a bad allocation exception is thrown. In this case, the destructor is going to be called while other TBB tasks are accessing the class.

This example is particular to my application, however there are likely other examples which could raise the same question.

The behviour in this case could be for a running TBB task that catches an unhandled exception to terminate all related TBB tasks, and throw another exception. I'm not entirely sure in my case how I could cleanly detect concurrent accesses to an object that is being destructed.
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II

I'm having a little trouble visualizing your example. Is Ownership exclusive? Or are these just links? (Can an object be owned by multiple tasks?). When the bad allocation exception is thrown, is it the objects that need to be culled or the ownership list?Are bad allocation exceptions a common, recoverable path, or a catastrophic one?

0 Kudos