Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Visual Studio 2012 – Windows XP (v110_xp)

jontron
Beginner

Is there a plan to release the tbb binaries built with Visual Studio 2012 – Windows XP (v110_xp)?  This would allow the binaries to run on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Thank you,

Jon

In the Property Pages dialog box for the project, under Configuration Properties, General, set the Platform Toolset property to Visual Studio 2012 – Windows XP (v110_xp).

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Jon, I don't know if TBB team has a plan to release binaries compiled with Visual Studio 2012 but I can tell you that TBB works on Windows XP. >>...This would allow the binaries to run on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003... Do you have any problems? Also, TBB is an Open Source library and you could try to build TBB with Visual Studio 2012. Did you try it?
0 Kudos
jontron
Beginner
The TBB built with Visual Studio 2012 does not currently run on XP. This is because it was not built with the v110_xp Toolset Platform option which just became available last week with the SP1 release. Would you be able to find out if future releases will be compiled with this Visual Studio option? I have not yet tried building TBB with Visual Studio 2012 and the proper XP support option...that is a last resort. Here is a link describing what is needed to support XP with Visual Studio 2012: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/10/08/10357555.aspx Thanks, Jon
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Sorry for a duplicate. Sent from a tablet.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I'll take a look at the link. I know a user who uses VS 2012 and TBB and everything works well for him.
0 Kudos
jontron
Beginner
Running TBB built with Visual Studio 2012 on XP will NOT work unless you set the option I mentioned. Without the option the binaries will not run according to the Microsoft Visual Studio team, and the testing I have done. That is why they added XP support in Visual Studio SP1.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Running TBB built with Visual Studio 2012 on XP will NOT work unless you set the option I mentioned... It is clear that Microsoft is trying to create as many as possible obstacles for users who are still using Windows XP. >>...I have not yet tried building TBB with Visual Studio 2012 and the proper XP support option...that is a last resort... If you have Visual Studio 2012 SP1 with option v110_xp Toolset Platform 'on' and TBB sources why wouldn't you try to build TBB binaries and test a couple of examples? If you have any questions please let me know. Note: It is a common issue / problem with forums that after some point a user should do its own job to resolve a problem and to find a solution / workaround.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Here is a link describing what is needed to support XP with Visual Studio 2012: >>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/10/08/10357555.aspx Thanks for the link. Here is a very impressive comment from a reader of that blog: ... Leave it to Microsoft to screw this up. There's no excuse for introducing a new toolset to handle XP. If some damn fool broke the SDK headers in Windows 8, (1) said fool should be fired (which will make Mini-MSFT happy), and (2) the headers should be fixed. The SDK headers are already full of #ifdef's to selectively expose API's based on target OS version. Shipping the Windows 7 headers is a huge kludge to avoid doing the job properly. ... It is not related to the subject of the thread but my point of view is as follows: Microsoft can't handle any longer over-complexity of Windows OSs and some software and constant flow of inconsistencies in Win32 API of different Windows OSs. Look, security bugs in Windows XP are not fixed completely for more than 10 years and won't be fixed ever. In 1995 I had a computer with 16MB of memory (!) and a very light and impressive ( almost perfect! ) Windows 95. Now, in 2012 I have a new notebook with 16GB (!) of memory and a heavy Windows 7. But, as a C++ developer I do almost the same things: design, implementation, debugging, testing, etc. Would I call an Aero UI as the most innovative feature of the Windows 7? No and that is why on that notebook I disabled it and switched UI to 'Standard Windows XP'. A couple of days ago I read an article and there was a statement: "...Microsoft is in a death spiral...".
0 Kudos
jontron
Beginner
Your comments bashing Microsoft aren't helpful to anybody as it doesn't solve anything. The question remains, will TBB be built with the v110_xp option or not? Can I build tbb myself? Yes, of course, but the question was... Will Intel build TBB with the v110_xp option? If you don't know the answer, please don't respond. Thank you, Jon
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Hello, I have not heard about this problem before. We'll review this and come back with the decision. As far as I can see we have a problem only with GetTickCount64() function that was used regardless to setting a limitation _WIN32_WINNT to 0x0501. thanks for the links, --Vladimir
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello, 

there is a small update on this. It looks that visual studio update 1 has fixed GetTickCount64() issue but we are still evaluating what is the better way to provide fixed binaries because they should work with vanilla Visual Studio 2012. Meanwhile I suggest to use release versions located in other folders (vc_mt,  vc10). AFAIK runtime libraries should be available on the system.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello, 

Recently released Intel TBB 4.2 update 4 provides vc11 (VS2012) and vc12 (VS2013) libraries that should work on XP/2003.

Let us know if you are still experiencing issues there.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos