Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2465 Discussions

When will TBB 2.2 add support for VS2010 (vc10)?

Stephen_R_Intel
Employee
When will TBB add support for Microsoft VS2010 (vc10)? This means shipping TBBlibrariesin .\ia32\vc10\bin and linked .\intel64\vc10\bin that are linked against msvc100.dll. Will these librariues be added to TBB 2.2, or some future release of TBB?

By the way, TBB is a great product,
SteveR
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890
hi,

VS 2010 is in beta2 stage. We can add official commercial supportand provide binaries for the released versions only. But as far as I know our build system already supports build for vs 2010 from sources in 2.2 update 1 comm-aligned open source release.

--Vladimir
0 Kudos
Stephen_R_Intel
Employee
hi,

VS 2010 is in beta2 stage. We can add official commercial supportand provide binaries for the released versions only. But as far as I know our build system already supports build for vs 2010 from sources in 2.2 update 1 comm-aligned open source release.

--Vladimir

Thank you, Vladimir. I have now built the vc10 libraries with the development release, so I can start my own development. Do you have an estimate when the vc10 binaries will be available in either a commercially aligned or stable release (e.g., Q1/2010)? We would like to release the next update of Intel Concurrent Collections for C++ with VS 2010 support, but are reluctant to do so until our users can download the binary tbb libraries.
0 Kudos
Neeley
Beginner
hi,

--Vladimir

Does this mean that if we want to use TBB with Visual Studio 2010 B2 we only need to rebuild the source from within VS2010. What should we do about the *.dlls used by TBB? (Yes I have now stepped way over my head!)

I am very unfamiliar with all of this but I am interested in doing a comparison of PPL and TBB and see how they can be used together.
0 Kudos
Neeley
Beginner
Quoting - Neeley

Does this mean that if we want to use TBB with Visual Studio 2010 B2 we only need to rebuild the source from within VS2010. What should we do about the *.dlls used by TBB? (Yes I have now stepped way over my head!)

I am very unfamiliar with all of this but I am interested in doing a comparison of PPL and TBB and see how they can be used together.

After I posted this I found this thread :http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=55316

Can I follow these instructions to successfully compile TBB for use with VS2010B2? Any other advice (warnings) would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Quoting - Neeley

After I posted this I found this thread :http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=55316

Can I follow these instructions to successfully compile TBB for use with VS2010B2? Any other advice (warnings) would be greatly appreciated.

this should work.
In additional to this you can use visual studio projects located in build/vsproject folder. Thereare project files for vs2005 but it can be converted to vs2010 and built.
0 Kudos
Neeley1
Beginner

this should work.
In additional to this you can use visual studio projects located in build/vsproject folder. Thereare project files for vs2005 but it can be converted to vs2010 and built.

Thanks I have now built with both these methods with varied success.

0 Kudos
ninhngt
Beginner
The information helped me too. Visual Studio 2010 beta 2 is quite nice.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Quoting - Neeley

Thanks I have now built with both these methods with varied success.

I've also tried to convert project in VS 2010:) There is newly introduced "Target Name" field (Configuration Porperties -> General) which is set to $(ProjectName) by default and breaks the debug build after conversion. it should be set to tbb_debug, tbbmalloc_debug or tbbmalloc_proxy_debug for debug configurations.

I think this is related to bug 484448 https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=484448 and should be fixed in VS 2010 RTM
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
BTW, VS2010 support was added starting TBB 3.0.
--Vladimir
0 Kudos