Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

about task

Vijay_O_
Beginner
Is it possible to write tasks to perform a series of independent small tasks using tbb task or is there a better wayusing tbb 3.0?

thank you in advance
0 Kudos
5 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II

Do you mean something like parallel_invoke? With it you can schedule a bunch of functions to be executed concurrently. Parallel_invoke operates synchronously, not returning until all the functions have completed.

0 Kudos
Vijay_O_
Beginner
I have triedusing parallel_invoke but it give me the error message "The procedure entry point ?destroy@task_base@internal@interface5@tbb@@SAXAAVtask@4@@Zcould not be located in dynamic link library tbb_debug.dll" what could this be referring to. Also is parallel_invoke a new function in tbb3.0 and does that mean the it would not work in VS 2008. If so does the also mean that the the original idea of creating taskswas right. If so should I create task objects and store them to a task list for execution in parallel
0 Kudos
Vijay_O_
Beginner
I have triedusing parallel_invoke but it give me the error message "The procedure entry point ?destroy@task_base@internal@interface5@tbb@@SAXAAVtask@4@@Zcould not be located in dynamic link library tbb_debug.dll" what could this be referring to. Also is parallel_invoke a new function in tbb 3.0 and does that mean the it would not work in VS 2008. If sodoes this also mean that the the original idea of creating taskswas a right approach?

Thank you for your advice
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Actually, parallel_invoke was added to TBB in the late editions of TBB 2.1, and I have been milking some code I wrote and posted last summer into a blog sequence about parallel programming. I don't know the problem you've encountered, but you'll note in the source code attached to this particular blog post uses lambda-constructs to wrap the function calls.
0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee
Perhaps you have an old TBB 2.2 tbb_debug.dll in your PATH?

The missing entry point was one that was added in TBB 3.0. It should work with VS 2008.
0 Kudos