Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

cache size?

softarts
Beginner
to avoid false-sharing,need to add some 'pad' data between / before / after theshare variable,

I have checked the TBB code, it define ALIGNED_SIZE 64 (64 is common size of cache line),

will the cache linesize vary with different CPU platform? i.e. Core2 ,XEON,and XEON 5500?

ps:Core2 has 64Kcache while XEON has 2M,right?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - softarts
to avoid false-sharing,need to add some 'pad' data between / before / after theshare variable,

I have checked the TBB code, it define ALIGNED_SIZE 64 (64 is common size of cache line),

will the cache linesize vary with different CPU platform? i.e. Core2 ,XEON,and XEON 5500?

ps:Core2 has 64Kcache while XEON has 2M,right?

The cache line size is the same inall threecases: 64 Bytes. This is what counts for false sharing.

The size of the last-level cache varies a lot: 4MB per 2 Cores for Intel Core2 processor QX6850 and Intel Xeon processor 5300 series, 6MB per 2 Cores for Intel Core2 processor QX9770 and Intel Xeon processor 5400 series, 8MB per 4 cores for Intel Core i7-965 and Intel Xeon processor 5500 series. A complete list can be found at http://processorfinder.intel.com/.

Kind regards
Thomas
softarts
Beginner

The cache line size is the same inall threecases: 64 Bytes. This is what counts for false sharing.

The size of the last-level cache varies a lot: 4MB per 2 Cores for Intel Core2 processor QX6850 and Intel Xeon processor 5300 series, 6MB per 2 Cores for Intel Core2 processor QX9770 and Intel Xeon processor 5400 series, 8MB per 4 cores for Intel Core i7-965 and Intel Xeon processor 5500 series. A complete list can be found at processorfinder.intel.com.

Kind regards
Thomas

why can not find L1 cache information on the URL?
the L1 cache (I&D) are always 32+32 KB?
thanks!
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - softarts
why can not find L1 cache information on the URL?
the L1 cache (I&D) are always 32+32 KB?
thanks!

Yes, L1 cache(I&D) are always 32+32 KB on current Xeon and Core architecture. (Itanium and the old P4 architecture are different.)

Kind regards
Thomas
softarts
Beginner

just check the lastest TBB code(20091101)

the #define ALIGNED_SIZE 64 disappeared (tbbmalloc)

and it deinf NFS_LINESIZE 128 (cache_aligned_allocator.cpp)

why does it happen?

RafSchietekat
Black Belt