Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2464 Discussions

difference between commercial and opensource TBB

dpn819
Beginner
Hi All,
I have good experience in boost, posix and windows threads. I am focusing on Intel TBB.
What is the difference between Open Source TBB and Commercial TBB.
I want to create a signature for a binary data ( like SHA1). Will TBB improves the performance here on Linux/Win/Mac?
Thanks in advance.
dpn
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Well, of course there are differences:)

the biggest difference between oss and comm versions areinstallation andcommercial technical support. oss version is distributed via archives and support chanel is this forum and bugzilla on oss site.

But binaries and sources are the same (except copyright comments: oss version includes GPLv2 part).

dpn, there are questions to you:

1. what clearity do you mean? we are about 6 years on the market.

2. you can parallel on file level i.e. make signatures for several files at once. The advantage of this that threading algorithm will be the same on all platforms regardless of OS threading model.

thanks
--Vladimir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
"What is the difference between Open Source TBB and Commercial TBB."
It's a mystery. :-)

"I want to create a signature for a binary data ( like SHA1). Will TBB improves the performance here on Linux/Win/Mac?"
You cannot exploit parallelism if the algorithm expressly requires sequential operation (unlike a block cypher, where TBB is an excellent choice).

(Corrected.) Removed a whole sentence because of a spelling error.
0 Kudos
dpn819
Beginner
Thank you Raf Schietekat for your valuable information.
I am going to drop to use TBB.
Reasons:
1. No clearity on TBB products.
2. It doesn't improve performance for SHA1 calc.
Best Regards,
dpn.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Well, of course there are differences:)

the biggest difference between oss and comm versions areinstallation andcommercial technical support. oss version is distributed via archives and support chanel is this forum and bugzilla on oss site.

But binaries and sources are the same (except copyright comments: oss version includes GPLv2 part).

dpn, there are questions to you:

1. what clearity do you mean? we are about 6 years on the market.

2. you can parallel on file level i.e. make signatures for several files at once. The advantage of this that threading algorithm will be the same on all platforms regardless of OS threading model.

thanks
--Vladimir

0 Kudos
dpn819
Beginner
Now, I am clear about OpenSource TBB and Commercial TBB.
I expected block level parallelism, not file level.
Seems to be, it might suitable for my requirements.
Let me do feasibility study.
Thanks alot Vladimir.
Regards,
dpn
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
"You cannot exploit parallelism if the algorithm expressly requires sequential operation (unlike a block cypher, where TBB is an excellent choice)."
I just realised that I neglected to point out that tasks may still be a good way to schedule the total workload, using TBB enqueued tasks (rather than spawned ones), and a separate I/O thread. Each task would process a number of blocks, fed to the TBB scheduler from a plain I/O thread. This way TBB is never blocked for I/O, and any number of input files can be processed without oversubscription. Priority could be given to blocks further away from the end of their respective files (for an earlier finish), or closest (for earlier partial results), or some other strategy.
0 Kudos
Ziyuan
Beginner

There is a question in the official FAQ:

There are no differences between the commercial and the open-source versions. We plan to maintain one source base and do builds for both commercial and open-source from the same source base. Intel offers its Intel® Premier Support for the purchased version of Intel® TBB, and for the open-source version we have the FAQs and Intel Threading Building Blocks forum support.

0 Kudos