Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

history about TBB?

softarts
Beginner
hi

really interesting about the history of TBB, when launch this project? is it originally from intel?

the first draft of TBB? the TBB team introduction

and does it learn something from cilk?

since have read many articles, said there are some "cilk style" algorithm,scheduler...and so on
0 Kudos
1 Reply
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - softarts
really interesting about the history of TBB, when launch this project? is it originally from intel?

the first draft of TBB? the TBB team introduction

and does it learn something from cilk?

since have read many articles, said there are some "cilk style" algorithm,scheduler...and so on

Yes, Intel Threading Building Blocks is an Intel original, though the concepts that drove its development come from a variety of antecedents, including STL, STAPL, OpenMP and Cilk. The story I heard was that a group of Intel Principal Engineers weresocializing at a conference and started brain-storming about how to deal in software with the expected growth in the number of cores per processor. They were looking for a solution that could handle variable numbers of cores, be accessible enough that people would actually use it, and take advantage of a lot of great research to avoid trading away good performance for ease of use.

It was two years from conception until the 1.0 beta was available. Version 1.0 was launched in August, 2006. The open source 2.0 version came out about a year later. Many of the TBB team are participants in this forum so you may already know their names. I would not presume to try to list them all myself, but I'm sure we'll hear from them if I got anything here wrong. ;-)

0 Kudos