Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

linking tbb under msys2

Blake_J_
Beginner

I'm trying to compile a very simple example from the reference guide under msys2/mingw-w64:

#include "tbb/concurrent_queue.h"
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;
using namespace tbb;

int main() {
    concurrent_queue<int> queue;
    for ( int i=0; i<10; ++i )
        queue.push(i);
    typedef concurrent_queue<int>::iterator iter;
    for ( iter i(queue.unsafe_begin()); i!=queue.unsafe_end(); ++i )
        cout << *i << " ";
    cout << endl;
    return 0;
}

I'm using the tbb package available through msys2's pacman package manager (i.e. "pacman -S mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-intel-tbb"), and gcc 5.2.0. When I try to compile the example above with "g++ -ltbb silly.cpp" I get a number of linking errors:

C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE[_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE]+0xf): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::throw_exception_v4(tbb::internal::exception_id)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello, 

That errors mean that you link to wrong tbb library. it looks that the library was compiled by visual studio but test was compiled by g++.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
Blake_J_
Beginner

I just tried compiling it myself with gcc rather than using the pacman version, and I get the same errors when linking to that. There are some visual studio versions of tbb on the machine, but I checked that they are not on the path by renaming the tbb I am trying to link to and ensuring that I then get an error because ld cannot find the tbb library.

For reference, my build process was:

sed -i "s|OUTPUT_KEY = -o #|OUTPUT_KEY = -Wl,--out-implib,lib\$(BUILDING_LIBRARY).a -o #|g" build/windows.gcc.inc
echo "CPLUS_FLAGS += -mrtm" >> build/windows.gcc.inc
mingw32-make compiler=gcc arch=intel64 runtime=mingw tbb_os=windows cpp0x=1
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Why do you need importlib? Isn't enough to link with directly with tbb.dll?

//does not work
g++ -Wall tbb.dll.a test2.cpp
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE[_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE]+0xf): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::throw_exception_v4(tbb::internal::exception_id)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

//works
g++ -Wall tbb.dll.a test2.cpp tbb.dll

//works if tbb.dll.a does not exits
g++ -Wall -ltbb test2.cpp

-Vladimir

0 Kudos
Blake_J_
Beginner

Yes, that worked. Thanks!

0 Kudos