Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

linking tbb under msys2

Blake_J_
Beginner

I'm trying to compile a very simple example from the reference guide under msys2/mingw-w64:

#include "tbb/concurrent_queue.h"
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;
using namespace tbb;

int main() {
    concurrent_queue<int> queue;
    for ( int i=0; i<10; ++i )
        queue.push(i);
    typedef concurrent_queue<int>::iterator iter;
    for ( iter i(queue.unsafe_begin()); i!=queue.unsafe_end(); ++i )
        cout << *i << " ";
    cout << endl;
    return 0;
}

I'm using the tbb package available through msys2's pacman package manager (i.e. "pacman -S mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-intel-tbb"), and gcc 5.2.0. When I try to compile the example above with "g++ -ltbb silly.cpp" I get a number of linking errors:

C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE[_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE]+0xf): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::throw_exception_v4(tbb::internal::exception_id)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
C:\msys64\tmp\ccpUMraJ.o:silly.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_P_Intel2

Hello, 

That errors mean that you link to wrong tbb library. it looks that the library was compiled by visual studio but test was compiled by g++.

--Vladimir

Blake_J_
Beginner

I just tried compiling it myself with gcc rather than using the pacman version, and I get the same errors when linking to that. There are some visual studio versions of tbb on the machine, but I checked that they are not on the path by renaming the tbb I am trying to link to and ensuring that I then get an error because ld cannot find the tbb library.

For reference, my build process was:

sed -i "s|OUTPUT_KEY = -o #|OUTPUT_KEY = -Wl,--out-implib,lib\$(BUILDING_LIBRARY).a -o #|g" build/windows.gcc.inc
echo "CPLUS_FLAGS += -mrtm" >> build/windows.gcc.inc
mingw32-make compiler=gcc arch=intel64 runtime=mingw tbb_os=windows cpp0x=1
Vladimir_P_Intel2

Why do you need importlib? Isn't enough to link with directly with tbb.dll?

//does not work
g++ -Wall tbb.dll.a test2.cpp
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE[_ZN3tbb8internal15throw_exceptionENS0_12exception_idE]+0xf): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::throw_exception_v4(tbb::internal::exception_id)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal20concurrent_queue_repIiEEE10deallocateEPS4_y]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorINS_10strict_ppl8internal29concurrent_queue_iterator_repIiEEE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE8allocateEyPKv]+0x28): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Allocate(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, void*)'
test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy[_ZN3tbb23cache_aligned_allocatorIcE10deallocateEPcy]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::NFS_Free(void*)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

//works
g++ -Wall tbb.dll.a test2.cpp tbb.dll

//works if tbb.dll.a does not exits
g++ -Wall -ltbb test2.cpp

-Vladimir

Blake_J_
Beginner

Yes, that worked. Thanks!