Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
2421 Discussions

parallel_for_each on std::vector<std::unique_ptr> >

Lars_D_2
Beginner

Dear community,

I'm trying to execute a parallel_for_each on a std::vector of unique_ptr.

std::vector<std::unique_ptr<SomeClass> > foo;
foo.fillData()
parallel_for_each(
    foo.begin()
  , foo.end()
  , [&] (std::unique_ptr<SomeClass>& singleFoo) { singleFoo -> method();}
);

However, compiling this code results in an error, because the "implicitly deleted copy constructor" (of the unique_ptr) is called. 

I think the issue is similar to using the following code

for (auto singleFoo : foo) {
  singleFoo -> method();
}

which does not compile with the same error, but the following for sure compiles:

for (auto& singleFoo : foo) {
  singleFoo -> method();
}

Would you please be so kind to assist me in this case? What do I need to change to have parallel_for_each use the reference (as provided in the lambda declaration) instead of copying the items?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Lars

Edit: Corrected second example as found by Raf. Forget the & behind the auto.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt

Try again with TBB 4.4 update 1 or later (the latest stable release is 4.4 update 2).

(2015-12-12 Added) I suppose you meant "auto&" rather than "auto" in the second code snippet?

Lars_D_2
Beginner

Hi Raf,

thanks for your answer. I will try with the most recent TBB version. And yes... I forgot the & behind the auto in the second example. Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected that.

Thanks again,

Lars