Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

parallel_reduce question

levicivita
Beginner
This might reveal my lack of understanding of TBB, but this doesn't work and I am not 100% sure why, or what would be an equivalent / better way to do this. Let's work off the tutorial example:

[cpp]val Foo(double x)
{
// x++;
for (int i=0; i<10; i++) x = cos(x); return x;
}

class SumFoo
{
val *const my_a;
public:
val my_sum;
void operator()( const blocked_range& r ) {
val *a = my_a;
val sum = my_sum;
size_t end = r.end();
for (size_t i=r.begin(); i!=end; ++i)
sum += Foo(a);
my_sum = sum;
}
SumFoo( val *a ) : my_a(a), my_sum(0) { }
SumFoo( SumFoo &x, split ) : my_a(x.my_a), my_sum(0) { }
void join( const SumFoo& y) { my_sum +=y.my_sum; }
void runme(int n)
{
parallel_reduce(blocked_range(0, n), this, auto_partitioner() );
}
};
[/cpp]
This should be pretty much the default example, with the exception of the runme method. Everything works fine unless I add it, at which point I get an extremely verbose error. I imagine the error has to do with the fact that 'this' is a SumFoo * const pointer, but I am not sure.

What is wrong with having a separate function kick off parallel_reduce on the SumFoo instance like in the tutorial? Nothing, except I wanted to have the SumFoo class automaticaly run the simulation as soon as it is constructed without any outside prompting, so as soon as I declare SumFoo sf(a), the sum should be calcuated. Is that doable somehow?

I take full responsibility if this is a trivial question.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
What happens if you use *this instead (the template function takes a reference)?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
What happens if you use *this instead (the template function takes a reference)?
levicivita
Beginner
Quoting - Raf Schietekat

...that works. That was the first thing I tried this morning, and that of course worked. The only thing I have to say in my defense (other than I was tired) is that the error message was not particularly helpful:

[shell]/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h: In member function `tbb::task* tbb::internal::start_reduce::execute() [with Range = tbb::blocked_range, Body = SumFoo* const, Partitioner = tbb::auto_partitioner]':
main.cpp:69:   instantiated from here
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:149: error: `*((tbb::internal::start_reduce*)this)->tbb::internal::start_reduce::my_body' cannot be used as a function
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h: In member function `void tbb::internal::start_reduce::note_affinity(tbb::internal::affinity_id) [with Range = tbb::blocked_range, Body = SumFoo* const, Partitioner = tbb::auto_partitioner]':
main.cpp:69:   instantiated from here
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:120: error: invalid conversion from `const void*' to `void*'
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:120: error:   initializing argument 2 of `void* operator new(size_t, void*)'
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:120: error: new initializer expression list treated as compound expression
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:120: error: cannot convert `tbb::split' to `SumFoo* const' in initialization
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h: In member function `tbb::task* tbb::internal::finish_reduce::execute() [with Body = SumFoo* const]':
main.cpp:70:   instantiated from here
/bin/tbb21_20081109oss/include/tbb/parallel_reduce.h:80: error: request for member `join' in `*(SumFoo* const*)((tbb::internal::finish_reduce*)this)->tbb::internal::finish_reduce::my_body', which is of non-class type `SumFoo* const'
make: *** [release] Error 1
lx-chspgd03:/home/cbontas/cpp/tbb/parallel_reduce_selfcall $ [/shell]