Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

problems using parallel_do

devbisme
Beginner
I'm trying to use parallel_do (using tbb20_20080226oss), but I'm getting an error from the compiler (MS VC++ 2005). I am trying to process some data in a simple structure maintained in a list:

typedef struct {
double v1, v2, v3;
} my_item_t;

typedef list vec_list;

class Body{
public:
typedef my_item_t argument_type;
Body() {};
// overload () so it does a vector multiply
void operator() (argument_type& it) const {
it.v3 = it.v1 * it.v2;
}
};

The () operator takes a reference to the simple structure as shown in the documentation for parallel_do. However, the compiler cannot find a () operator that matches the prototype it wants. If I change the operator by removing the reference, then it compiles with no errors:

void operator() (argument_type it) const {
it.v3 = it.v1 * it.v2;
}

But this doesn't work because any changes made by the operator only occur in the local copy and don't get passed back into the main list.

I can get around this problem by making a list of pointers that point to the data structures, but it seems like the code shown above should work and I want to understand where I'm making my mistake.

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can give.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alexey_K_Intel3
Employee

Thank you for reporting the problem.

The documentation is in fact incorrect. The implementation of parallel_do may copy processed itemsduring its work, this is why there are requirements for argument_type to have a copy constructor and a destructor. Obviously it does not make sense for operator() to take the reference to an item if that reference can point to an internal copy and not to the original item.

I apologize for our documentation misleading you.

devbisme
Beginner
Alexey:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

Based on your answer, can I assume that the proper way to process items using parallel_do is for the argument_type to contain a pointer where the () operator can store any results that are computed? I can't see any other way to get results out of (). Am I missing something really obvious?
Alexey_K_Intel3
Employee
Yes, it seems for the moment it's your best resort. I have initiated a discussion about extending parallel_do semantics the way you need, but this will take time and perspectives aren't clear.