Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

question about concurrent map

smasherprog
Beginner
What is the difference between the unordered concurrent map and the concurrent hash map? What I mean is, why would I want to chose one over the other? The documention doesnt necessarily explain the pros and cons of the two, but only explains a few differences in functionality without explaining why the differences exist. Are there speed differences in insert? the unordered container cannot saftely erase objects --great. So why would anyone use unordered concurrent map?

Also, a follow up question, is there a way to iterate over the concurrent hash map without holding locks for each element as I go? For example, I know that a certain part of my code is going to be serial and I want to iterate over the container and do some work, is there a way to skip the automatic locking?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee
The main difference is that concurrent_unordered_map provides a simpler API, more consistent with that of maps in the C++ standard library, at the cost of erase() being not a concurrent operation.

As for performance/speed differences, those might depend on a setup, and may change with future improvements.

For the follow-up question: the traversal of concurrent_hash_map is not safe if there are concurrent operations running, but you can safely use it in serial code sections. An iterator can be obtained with begin(), end(), and equal_range(key) methods.
0 Kudos