Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

safe iteration of concurrent_hash_map

rmeggins
Beginner
The comments in the file concurrent_hash_map.h indicate that using iterators, begin(), and end() are not thread safe. What is the recommended way to iterate the items in a concurrent_hash_map in a thread safe way? If the answer is "put a mutex around the code that does the iteration" then I also have to put a mutex around find/insert/remove, which sort of defeats the concurrency. I need a way to access all of the elements in the hash map read only - I don't need to modify the elements or remove them during the iteration.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
You could read the manual, or search this forum. "How to lock the whole concurrent_hash_map not warping a portion of code with mutex?" is a very recent thread dealing about a suspiciously similar issue.
rmeggins
Beginner
Thanks. I was using tbb 2.2 2.20090809 in Red Hat Enterprise Linux EPEL (Fedora) 6 which does not have concurrent_unordered_map. I see that there is tbb 3.0 in more recent versions of Fedora which has concurrent_unordered_map.
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
Maybe you could disable the package that comes with your distribution and install a more recent one directly from Intel?
zw_z_
Beginner

Can you give me an code example to show how to do safe iteration of concurrent_hash_map? Document "How to lock the whole concurrent_hash_map not warping a portion of code with mutex?" just can't be opened now.

RafSchietekat
Black Belt

It would seem that that other thread contained the suggestion to use concurrent_unordered_map instead.

Anton_M_Intel
Employee

If you can afford not using erase(), concurrent_unordered_map is the best choice. Otherwise, there is a hackish way to traverse concurrent_hash_map if certain constraints are preserved: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/05/14/traversing-concurrent_hash_map-concurrently