Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2464 Discussions

the program with TBB can't analyze the hotspots

Frank_F
Beginner

Hello everyone!

I have a serial program,and i have changed it with Intel TBB,now it is a parallel program.The serial program need one hour,and the parallel need 10 minutes.

But the parallel program can't use VTune Amplifier analyze the hotspots,the VTune Amplifier load the file all the time ,and i see in the 'data.0' folder ,there are many files,but the serial is not appear.What should i do ?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Vladimir_P_1234567890

how long is "all the time"? is it 10 minutes, 10 hours or 10 days? depending on threads number and number of frames it might load results times longer.

what size is "data.0" folder?

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

Vladimir Polin (Intel) wrote:

how long is "all the time"? is it 10 minutes, 10 hours or 10 days? depending on threads number and number of frames it might load results times longer.

--Vladimir

I have 10 hours without running out,Then I interrupted it.It appears like attachments,and in the 'data.0'folder,there are 83990 '.th'and '.cs' files,and the 'data.0' folder is 140M,and Take up the space of 391M.

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

--Vladimir

I have 10 hours without running out,Then I interrupted it.It appears like attachments,and in the 'data.0'folder,there are 83990 '.th'and '.cs' files,and the 'data.0' folder is 140M,and Take up the space of 391M.   

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

10 hours are pretty long time:) 

I'll forward the link to this thread to VTune team. they will do next steps to reproduce and advise what to do.

thanks for the report
--Vladimir

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

I'll forward the link to this thread to VTune team. they will do next steps to reproduce and advise what to do.

thanks for the report
--Vladimir

Thank you! Dear friend!

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

What do you mean by "VTune Amplifier load the file all the time"? Which VTune version do you use?

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

Vitaly Slobodskoy (Intel) wrote:

What do you mean by "VTune Amplifier load the file all the time"? Which VTune version do you use?

I mean I have 10 hours without running out,Then I interrupted it.I use VTune Amplifier XE 2013 update 14 for windows.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

So, your application doesn't start through you see collection is started, right?

Can you see application process in the list of processes?

Do you use GUI or command line?

Which analysis type do you use?

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

So, your application doesn't start through you see collection is started, right?

Can you see application process in the list of processes?

Do you use GUI or command line?

Which analysis type do you use?

I can see application process in the list of processes.The VTune Amplifier is running,but can not run out  in the Finalizing results.The same status appear both the Basic hotspots and Advanced hotspots.I don', use GUI or command line.Thank you!

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks Frank.F.

Can you attach result directory?

If it takes too much space please try to remove <result_dir>/sqlite-db subfolder and archive <result_dir>.

If it is still too big I suggest to submit that issue via premier.

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

thanks for the report
--Vladimir

I know the reason.When i add "task_scheduler_init init;" before parallel_for realize statement,the VTune Amplifier can't run out .And when i remove "task_scheduler_init init;",the VTune Amplifier can run out.Did i write "task_scheduler_init init;" is wrong?

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

Thanks Frank.F.

Can you attach result directory?

If it takes too much space please try to remove <result_dir>/sqlite-db subfolder and archive <result_dir>.

If it is still too big I suggest to submit that issue via premier.

I know the reason.When i add "task_scheduler_init init;" before parallel_for realize statement,the VTune Amplifier can't run out .And when i remove "task_scheduler_init init;",the VTune Amplifier can run out.Did i write "task_scheduler_init init;" is wrong?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Based on the data you provided above your application with task_scheduler_init creates ~42000 threads making VTune in trouble loading all that stuff. So, if you didn't expect that, this is the problem in your code. How many threads does VTune show for the case without task_scheduler_init?

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

Based on the data you provided above your application with task_scheduler_init creates ~42000 threads making VTune in trouble loading all that stuff. So, if you didn't expect that, this is the problem in your code. How many threads does VTune show for the case without task_scheduler_init?

It show Total Thread Count is 8. My computer's cpu is Xeon E 5430,it has 4 cores 8 threads.

0 Kudos
Frank_F
Beginner

The VTune Amplifier shows Total Thread Count is 8. My computer has 4 cores and 8 threads.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Frank.F wrote:

the behavior should be similar there should be created 8 threads in both cases with or without Amplifier.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

I think I was able to reproduce slowdown on loading stage running analysis on synthetic application creating thousands of threads. Thanks Frank.F for reporting that issue!

0 Kudos