Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

throttling number of threads

Brian_Budge
Beginner
Hi -

Is it possible to throttle the maximum number of threads used by the task scheduler or for a parallel launch? I searched the forums for this, but couldn't find anything. Probably just the wrong key words.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
Provide a non-default argument to task_scheduler_init.
turks
Beginner
Quoting - Raf Schietekat
Provide a non-default argument to task_scheduler_init.
Raf, could you explain further ? What would be a "non default argument" ?

Thanks
-T
Vivek_Rajagopalan
Quoting - turks

Thanks
-T

From the docs : http://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/files/documentation/a00114.html

task_scheduler_init (int number_of_threads=automatic, stack_size_type thread_stack_size=0)
Shorthand for default constructor followed by call to intialize(number_of_threads).

-

task_scheduler_init tinit(4); // restrict tbb worker threads to 4, even if you have more or less hardware threads available

Terry_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - turks

Thanks
-T
The task_scheduler_init() can take two optional arguments:

task_scheduler_init( int number_of_threads=automatic, stack_size_type thread_stack_size=0);

So, you can ask directly for p threads by doing this:

task_scheduler_init init(p);

Cheers,
Terry

turks
Beginner

From the docs : http://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/files/documentation/a00114.html

task_scheduler_init (int number_of_threads=automatic, stack_size_type thread_stack_size=0)
Shorthand for default constructor followed by call to intialize(number_of_threads).

-

task_scheduler_init tinit(4); // restrict tbb worker threads to 4, even if you have more or less hardware threads available

Is there any way to know that if you ask for only 2 worker threads on an 8 core machine that you actually got 2 and
not 8 ? If I throttle back the worker threads at init time to 2 it uses as much CPU as when I init with 8.
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
Quoting - turks
Is there any way to know that if you ask for only 2 worker threads on an 8 core machine that you actually got 2 and
not 8 ? If I throttle back the worker threads at init time to 2 it uses as much CPU as when I init with 8.
The first task_scheduler_init instance sets the number of worker threads; any additional instances have no say in the matter. If you did provide the number to the first instance, what are the symptoms?
turks
Beginner
Quoting - Raf Schietekat
The first task_scheduler_init instance sets the number of worker threads; any additional instances have no say in the matter. If you did provide the number to the first instance, what are the symptoms?
Symptoms of initing to 1 or 2 threads is that my pipeline is using a lot of CPU. I assume the default (if no argument is given) is 8 on a machine with 2 quad-core chips ?
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
"Symptoms of initing to 1 or 2 threads is that my pipeline is using a lot of CPU."
That's not very specific.

"I assume the default (if no argument is given) is 8 on a machine with 2 quad-core chips ?"
Yes, unless you also have hyperthreading.