Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

AMT Remote desktop blacks screen with fake-monitor dongle.

MichelCoene
Beginner

I use small industrial PC's with Intel® Core™ i7-8665UE CPU @ 1.70GHz and internal Intel 620 graphics.  No external graphics card.  I connect over AMT with Meshcommander.  I can get a perfect remote desktop if  I hook up a real monitor, also to go in BIOS.  When I replace the real monitor with one of these "I am a 4K monitor" DisplayPort dongles, I will only get the RDP after the OS starts.  No more access to the BIOS. My guess is the graphics chip can't handle the 4 K screen, even if it is fake.  Is there a magical BIOS setting I should look into?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Michel,

The dongle is blocking the video signal.  Intel® AMT version 11 and later supports 4K resolution with no BIOS configuration. I am adding a chart with the video resolution according to the AMT version.

KVM and Intel AMT

https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/WordDocuments/kvmandintelamt.htm

Regards,

Miguel C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Michel,

I hope this post finds you well.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Michel,

We will gladly provide further assistance if necessary.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
MichelCoene
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

Sorry for the long wait. Us evil Europeans with our long hollidays... 

If I remove the dongle, the Meshcommander VNC window will remain completely black, even after Windows starts.  Somehow, the 620 graphics chip sais: "Hey, there is no screen attached, so I might as well have a nap."   What I'm looking for is some sort of BIOS setting or evil hack which forces the chip to ignore the fact that there is no screen attached, and keep on making nice pictures anyway.

0 Kudos
MichelCoene
Beginner

Actually, I just stumbled over a solution.  I just bought another virtual screen dongle.  Only this one is DVI, not Displayport.  And that works.  Apparently the DVI interface is "stupid enough" to fool the graphics chip.  Still, I can't imagine large datacenters to be plugging in thousands of alibaba dongles into their servers.  there must be a better way.

dongle.jpg

0 Kudos