Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

AMT installation

AkashC
Beginner

Hello there, 

I have about 200 systems, I came across this technology where I can connect to those system even outside the OS.

I have  Intel vpro chipset, but I am not sure how to enable it. Is it true that for AMT to work we first need to get Vpro activated from the OEM?

What will be the next steps after I have a Vpro enabled system from the OEM?

How will I get AMT activated and how will I get to use it to give out of band support to my 200 systems?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nielsen,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

Cloud and Enterprise IT customers are advised to use Intel® EMA, an Intel® AMT software tool, which provides enterprise IT with cloud capabilities and in- and out-of-band manageability. Please refer to the links below for how to deploy Intel® EMA:

Intel® EMA Quick Start Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055627/software/manageability-products.html

Intel® EMA Training (video series)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056028/software/manageability-products.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AkashC
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Just wanted to check for a few more questions:

Do we get the Vpro manually enabled from the OEMs?

If the the Vpro is enabled do we need to activate AMT manually to use EMA?

Is there a way to install EMA with out using SQL?

Is the application chargeable?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nielsen,

Intel® Active Management Technology is included as part of the Intel vPro® platform. To determine if a system is Intel® AMT capable, you can follow these steps:

• Look for an Intel® Core vPro™ processor badge on the systems.
  • Contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer to obtain additional details about this.
  • Look for an Intel® AMT port under Device Manager

1. Enter the processor number in the search box located in the upper right corner.
  2. Click to navigate to the processor specification page.
  3. In the left column, click Advanced Technologies, or scroll down to that section of the page. 
  4. See the Intel vPro® Platform Eligibility in that list.

If possible, please provide us with the system models you are using so that we can provide accurate information.

Also, please allow me to review your questions. I will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nielsen, 

Please find below the answers to your questions.

1. How will I get AMT activated and how will I get to use it to give out of band support to my 200 systems?

Intel® AMT is activated by default (enabled in BIOS) and it just needs to be set up.

2. Do we need to activate AMT manually to use EMA?

It is required that an agent is installed on the client to get Intel® AMT to communicate with Intel® EMA.

3. Is there a way to install EMA with out using SQL?

No, Microsoft SQL is required. An alternative to this is using Microsoft SQL Express for free.

4. Is the application chargeable?

I am still reviewing this question.

In addition, please find below the following documentation that will help you deploy your systems. There you can find the prerequisites, inbound and outbound information, how to create an Intel® AMT profile, and how to provision devices.

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Administration and Usage Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-admin-and-usage-guide.pdf

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Single Server Installation Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-server-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AkashC
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the reply this actually brings a lot of clarity.

Just wanted to ask a couple more questions:

If I bring the EMA application in a company, do the employees have to be connected on the company's network to use EMA?

If yes, then is it possible that they use EMA over company's network via VPN?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello AkashC,

Thank you for your response.

Please allow me to review this question. I will provide an update soon

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello AkashC,

Please find below an update to your thread.

Intel® EMA can be used with and without a VPN. It is designed to be a flexible cloud-based application.

Initial provisioning will require that the user platform be on the corporate network (VPN not allowed). However, after that initial provisioning, clients are fine on VPN or without it. Please see page 4 of the following document for Network Port requirements when setting up Intel® EMA.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-server-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

In addition, Intel® EMA and any of its associated utilities do not have an extra cost. These are free for you to manage the Intel® vPro platforms that you have purchased.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AkashC
Beginner

Hello there,

I had a few more questions regarding this.

Can you please help me with your contact details?

Or arrange a call for me?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello AkashC,

Thank you for your response. I have deleted your personal information for security reasons.

Please allow me to review your request to better assist you. However, what I can do to help you is address your questions through this support channel. Please post your questions on this thread, and I will be glad to address them shortly.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I would add that, if you need to include confidential information in your questions, you can use the Private Messaging (PM) system to send queries directly to Wanner (or any other individual). Simply click on the envelope icon on the Communities banner and it will open the PM interface.
I would also add that you can configure the Communities interface so that it will send you email notifications of (amongst other things) people sending you PMs or responding to a PM that you sent. The envelope icon will also include a count of the unread messages/responses outstanding
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello AkashC,

To continue working on your support request, we have sent you an email to the email address associated with your profile.

Please let me know if you received it.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos