Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

AMT12 no longer sends dhcp requests when OS is running

FStei11
Beginner

Hi,

we have several generations of hosts with vPro/AMT, and up to AMT 11.x, all of them send dhcp requests no matter if the host is powered-off or in bios or running an OS.

However, our new HP 800 G5 with AMT 12.x stop sending dhcp requests when the OS has booted. We've set AMT to using dhcp, but our Linux uses dhcp only during the auto-installation phase and is configured with static ips afterwards.

But as we don't want to enter names and ips for all the hosts in the MEBx menu, we never change the dhcp setting and leave the installation dhcp server running, so that AMT can always fetch the ip via dhcp. And this worked fine for years.

Now, with AMT 12.x this no longer works. Did the behaviour really change from AMT 11.x to 12.x? Is that intended or a bug?

It would be a very bad idea if the OS was responsible for sending the dhcp requests to keep the AMT device alive. If the OS crashed and stopped sending dhcp, the host would no longer be reachable after the dhcp lease was over, and thus a crashed computer could not be restarted via AMT.

cu,

Frank

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello FStei11,

Thank you for joining the community

Could you please send a copy of the RCS log? We will do a research about this behavior with the dhcp setting on AMT v12

Will wait for your updates

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
FStei11
Beginner

Hi Jose,

as far as I understand, RCS is a Windows tool. We are running Linux only and do all the AMT setup manually via MEBx, so I cannot provide any RCS logs...

cu,

Frank

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello FStei11,

Thanks for the feedback. You actually specified that in the very first post. But somehow I didn't think you manually provision the machines via MEBx. I will research on this and will get back to you.

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
FStei11
Beginner

Hi,

I got an email from Michael who told me that this configuration used to work up to 11. but never was a valid configuration intended to work. So I'll have to change my configuration... As I couldn't answer the email (came back because of missing SR) I reply here so that others looking for the same problem can find this ;)

Thanks a lot for your help!

cu,

Frank

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Frank, I'll reply to the e-mail and note the case # for you. Currently troubleshooting this with AMT12 system, however, we do not have an HP 800 G5...we DO have a G4 with AMT 12. Will respond with results.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos