Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Booting from ISO file.

SiW
Novice

Hi,

I'm trying to boot from ISO (Windows 10) remotely (just doing some testing at the moment). The ISO file mounts, but doesn't boot to the file when I reboot (prompts for recovery key, but then boots back to Windows). 

Has anyone had this working remotely okay please? If so did you have to do anything? Thanks.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SiW
Novice

Hi all, thanks for help. I've kind of given up here, I Can't get this functionality working despite several attempts and methods at creating ISO images, I will leave this and close the thread. There doesn't really seem a great deal of material on this, it may seem straightforward and TBH creating a basic ISO was fine, booting a test VM on this was fine, but I had a lot of challenges getting the laptops to reboot and boot to the image itself. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello SiW,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

We understand that you are having issues booting from ISO (Windows 10) remotely.  We would like to have more details about the behavior that you are having:

• What is the brand and model of the system that you are trying to access/boot remotely?
  • When you mention that you reboot (prompts for a recovery key, but then boots back to Windows), this means that boots to OS that is already installed on the system?
  • What tool are you using to access remotely the system?
  • How many systems have this behavior?
  • What BIOS or OS configuration have you done on the system to access it remotely?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SiW
Novice

Please see replies:

• What is the brand and model of the system that you are trying to access/boot remotely? Lenovo, T440s, AMT v10.0.60.3000
  • When you mention that you reboot (prompts for a recovery key, but then boots back to Windows), this means that boots to OS that is already installed on the system? Yes, has OS, testing ISO booting
  • What tool are you using to access remotely the system? Just AMT -  
  • How many systems have this behavior? All tested so far (2)
  • What BIOS or OS configuration have you done on the system to access it remotely? Fully configured in AMT, CIRA provision complete successfully

I have also tried by connecting this via the internet (using external IP address of EMA server) and also on local LAN as well (using local IP).

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello SiW,

Thank you for the details. Allow us to look into the behavior that you are having; we would be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SiW
Novice

Hi,

Are there any instructions over the process for ISO booting anywhere please? I believe I may have to make a USB bootable key drive first, then boot to the image. I'm working on this internally rather than via the WAN, but still a little unsure of the method of operation here. Thanks.

Regards,

SW

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello SiW,

Thank you for waiting.

We would like to share with you that this behavior is often because the boot is too fast relative to the delayed keyboard response. you can try going into BIOS and slow down the boot so you can catch the boot to ISO feature.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello SiW

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SiW
Novice

Hi all, thanks for help. I've kind of given up here, I Can't get this functionality working despite several attempts and methods at creating ISO images, I will leave this and close the thread. There doesn't really seem a great deal of material on this, it may seem straightforward and TBH creating a basic ISO was fine, booting a test VM on this was fine, but I had a lot of challenges getting the laptops to reboot and boot to the image itself. 

0 Kudos