Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2833 Discussions

Cannot un-provision AMT

idata
Employee

I have a simple test environment with Microsoft Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 and a Dell E6400 notebook. The notebook was provisioned using SCCM (out of band). Now I want to erase the configuration, and test out in-band provisioning. However, when entering the Management Engine BIOS Extensions, and choosing Full or Partial Unprovision, the machne responds with the following: ERROR; Intel AMT Un-Provision failed.

I tried to use the unprovisioning utility, but it says it is unable to connect to the machine.

What can I do to unprovision the notebook?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Did you enable audit logging on your client? If so, it will prevent you from doing an un-provision in the MEBx. You would need to first disable audit logging for your client, update the settings on the client's management controller and then try to do the un-provision from the MEBx again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is there any possible to force unprovision or force disable audit? For example from MBEx or WEB interface? Or other tools?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

By design you have to disable audit-logging first, or, unprovision the client from the management console. Your only other alternative would be to try disable/enable AMT through BIOS or to remove the CMOS battery to reset AMT back to factory defaults. You can't turn the feature off in the WebUI or MEBx.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for you answer Dan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Finally, the solustion was removing the battery. We had to wait for a while, however. 15-20 seconds is not enough... 2 minutes is OK, as our experiment shows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Glad to hear that worked for you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, auditing is enabled, as I can see.

My test system was shut down for a few weeks, and now the notebook appears as AMT "not supported". So at this moment I cannot update its settings and then unprovision it. It was a bad idea to shut down the test environment without unprovisioning the client.

0 Kudos