Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Cannot un-provision AMT

I have a simple test environment with Microsoft Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 and a Dell E6400 notebook. The notebook was provisioned using SCCM (out of band). Now I want to erase the configuration, and test out in-band provisioning. However, when entering the Management Engine BIOS Extensions, and choosing Full or Partial Unprovision, the machne responds with the following: ERROR; Intel AMT Un-Provision failed.

I tried to use the unprovisioning utility, but it says it is unable to connect to the machine.

What can I do to unprovision the notebook?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Did you enable audit logging on your client? If so, it will prevent you from doing an un-provision in the MEBx. You would need to first disable audit logging for your client, update the settings on the client's management controller and then try to do the un-provision from the MEBx again.

idata
Community Manager

Is there any possible to force unprovision or force disable audit? For example from MBEx or WEB interface? Or other tools?

idata
Community Manager

By design you have to disable audit-logging first, or, unprovision the client from the management console. Your only other alternative would be to try disable/enable AMT through BIOS or to remove the CMOS battery to reset AMT back to factory defaults. You can't turn the feature off in the WebUI or MEBx.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for you answer Dan.

idata
Community Manager

Finally, the solustion was removing the battery. We had to wait for a while, however. 15-20 seconds is not enough... 2 minutes is OK, as our experiment shows.

idata
Community Manager

Glad to hear that worked for you.

idata
Community Manager

Yes, auditing is enabled, as I can see.

My test system was shut down for a few weeks, and now the notebook appears as AMT "not supported". So at this moment I cannot update its settings and then unprovision it. It was a bad idea to shut down the test environment without unprovisioning the client.