Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Cant Reset MEBx Password on Intel ME V.8.0.0.69

AAcfe
Beginner

I recently discovered these engines settings on my 2 years old second hand bought HP elitebook 8570p with i7-3520m. I tried the default 'admin' one. After, i letf the pc unplugged, removed battery and without cmos battery for 5 hours to reset the password, this didnt work either.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, Thank you for joining the community. The easiest way to reset or actually define a new MEBx password is by using the ACU_Wizard tool included in the SCS software pack found in the following URL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/26505/Intel-Setup-and-Configuration-Software-Intel-SCS-?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F26505%2Feng%2FSCS_download_package_12.1.0.87.zip You have to install the software first Select the option to "Create Settings to Configure Multiple Systems" After that you will need to click on Tools > Prepare a USB key for Manual Configuration Specify the new MEBx password Under USB drive select the already plugged drive and click OK This will create a bootable USB stick that you will need to use in the computer you want to reset the MEBx password. After running the USB driver booting process it will redefine the current MEBx password Hope this helps Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AAcfe
Beginner

Hi Jose thanks for the answer.

In another topic ( https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490OpFSAU/reset-mebx-password-nuc-5i5myhe?language=en_US) i saw a similar problem to mine and i want to learn that if the configuration menu where you press 2 in that menu is same in my laptop. Because when i did my process a menu popped up for a miliseconds and i couldnt press any button. If that menu is identical in my laptop i can try again and try to press 2 when that menu pops up.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, Its difficult to tell whether if the menu is similar or not since this thread is about an Intel NUC recovery process and your computer is a HP one. If I have to tell you something I would say it is possible there is a similar menu on your computer but not the same as OEMs usually customize their interfaces at convenience. Something else you can try is to download the user manual for this machine, which should be available in their support website and the menu should be explained there in better detail. Let me know if you do some progress. Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
AAcfe
Beginner

I found the manual of my pc and they dont even mention the MEBx menu and vPro specs there. I will try to contact HP guys and maybe try to reset the password by assuming the reset menu keys are same as the NUC one.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, That sounds like a plan. You still can try the ACUWizard software tool using the USB stick method. It is supposed to work as it overwrites whichever password is already setup . Let me know if you get some new info from HP. Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AAcfe
Beginner

Mr. Jose can you help me understand what are menaings of the statements mentioned as M0,M3 etc in the intel ME user guide? ( https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intel_mebx_user_guide_for_7series.pdf ) I asked about the menu in HP forum but they seem not interested and moreover they closed a topic related to password resetting because its against the rules of their forum to talk such things they say. So i dont expect to get any help from them for now.

And also since my password is not the default one i expect to not have the dafult ME conifiguration on my system at the moment. If i reset the configuration and dont change any settings in what state of intel ME stays in that case? On, off? Because as far as i understand once you set it up ME is always on in S0 or S1 or in another state of OS.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, I thing these Mx states refers to the Management Engine power states and matches the usual S0, S1... but I want to confirm this with our engineering department since I am not totally sure. About what state the ME stays you are correct. After the AMT has been enabled the ME will stay always listening to incoming traffic. But if what you want is to disable the actual AMT feature you probably can do this from the BIOS (its different from OEMs but usually there is a enable option on BIOS) I will let you know about the Mx states soon Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AAcfe
Beginner

AMT is already disabled. Just the mebx menu and ME itself i am trying to understand.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, I am already requesting info to our engineering department. Will let you know when updates are available Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, For further and comprehensive information you can visit the Software Development Kit (SDK) website. You can do a search for “power state”. Here is one of the results: https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=HTMLDocuments%2FWS-Management_Class_Reference%2FIPS_KVMRedirectionSettingData.htm Hope this helps Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello AAcfe, We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos