Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2836 Discussions

Confirmation Request: I have NO AMT with i3 despite great motherboard?

idata
Employee

Scenario: I've just ordered my first new batch of client PCs and I have a question. They're all using the Intel Executive DQ67SW motherboard.

I knew I wouldn't have the new vPro features (KVM) using an i3 2100 with my new client systems, but I did anticipate having some AMT features that would be carried over from previous generations. Upon trying to fire up the AMT software I'm greeted with a message of no support whatsoever. Is this true? It seems odd to me that even basic AMT functionality wouldn't be supported on these new platforms for purely marketing/up-sell reasons. The $75 price premium to the lowest i5 isn't warranted from a performance perspective in this case, so there is no way I can justify that cost on a per-machine basis for the full suite of management tech being that there is a helpdesk staff onsite and they haven't struggled in the past without AMT.

Am I SOL? Is the entire suite of features really intentionally disabled?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Sorry, but Intel AMT requires one of the Intel vPro processors (Intel Core i7 or Intel Core i5) that are listed here: /docs/DOC-5583 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5583.

(The only subset of Intel AMT is the Intel Standard Manageability Feature set and I don't think that will work with Intel Core i3 processors and your chipset.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm unsure how you are going about enabling AMT functions (I had to access the MEB-X menu with CTRL+P if I recall correctly during boot) - but I am successfully using AMT with an i3-2100 in a Dell OptiPlex 990. Unsure what the motherboard chipset is on this one - you are correct that full vPro and KVM is not available, but the other functions seem to be (Serial Over Lan, IDE-R, etc).

Hope this helps,

Alex

0 Kudos