Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

DG45ID and ADD2 card

idata
Employee

I'm upgrading a system to the DG45ID, and it needs to support dual monitors via DVI. The board obviously had a single integrated DVI-I port (in addition to the HDMI port). The manual references compatibility with ADD2/MEC cards. It also mentions installation of a PCI-E card disables the integrated graphics ports. I tried installing a dual-DVI ADD2 card (Wintec), assuming the on-board DVI port would be disabled, but can't get this config to work. So either I've got a bad ADD2 card or mobo, or I interpreted the manual wrong, and I should be using a single head DVI ADD2 card, in conjunction with the integrated DVI port. I'm currently using the old dual-DVI NVIDIA card, but I'd like to be able to get the integrated graphics working. So, should I be using a single head ADD2 card, or should I look at RMAing the ADD2 card and/or mobo.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank

When you install an ADD2 card with either dual or single DVI it will not disable the "onboard" DVI. If you have a display connected to the onboard DVI you should still see the desktop. I have a couple of questions for you regarding this issue. Additionally, with a dual port ADD2 card, they typically have one port as a primary so try moving the secondary display connector to the other port with on the ADD2 and use the graphics properties page to select you monitor configuration (right click on desktop and select Graphics Properties".

1. What OS are you using?

2. Can you provide a link to a page that describes your ADD2 card in detail?

3. What version of Graphics driver are you using? You can go to this link to check the version # and download the latest version if necessary:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

I look forward to your answers and hopefully helping you to resolved this issue.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Robert-

Thanks for offering to help! In answer to your questions:

1) OS is Vista Ultimate 32bit (w/ SP and fully updated)

2) ADD2 card can be viewed at: http://www.wintecindustries.com/orderdesk/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=2129&product_id=21327 http://www.wintecindustries.com/orderdesk/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=2129&product_id=21327

3) Video driver v 15.12.4.1666

I had to put the legacy NVidia Dual-DVI card in so the system would run. I'll try to swing by this week and experiment with putting the ADD2 card back in, plug one display into the on-board DVI port, and try to figure out which is the primary port on the dual head ADD2 card (there wasn't any obvious label that I remember on the mounting bracket or PCB). If there is another ADD2 vendor that you'd recommend over what I posted above, I'd welcome the info (either by posting it here, or PM the info to me).

I'm anxious to try this out based on your feedback. FWIW, I wish the Intel tech writers would clarify the language in the DG45ID product guide. On page 15, is states "When a PCI Express x16, x8, or x4 add-in card is installed on the Desktop Board, the DVI-I port is disabled." I guess maybe an ADD2 card might not technicaly be considered an "add-in card".

Anyway, thanks again! Let me know if you have any feedback on the ADD2 card vendors, and I'll post again as soon as I have a chance to go back to the system in question and tweak some more.

Frank

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank

Thanks for the additional info. 1 last question, what transmitter is on the ADD2 card. It will usually be a Silicon Image*, Conexant*, or Chrontel* chip. I couldnt find that info on the Wintec* site.

Let me know how the configuration change goes. Also, I will pass on your feedback on the DG45ID product guide.

Thanks

Robert

* Product and vendor names are copyrights/trademarks of their respective companies.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Robert-

It's using Silicon Image.

Thanks again!

Frank

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

OK thanks. The SI cards tend to be very good. How did the testing go?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No dice Robert.

I put the ADD2 card in, and it appears the integrated DVI port WAS disabled (the ports on the ADD2 card were labeled, and I had the other display plugged into port 1 on the ADD2 card). I alternated the two diplays between the on-board DVI and port 1 on the ADD2, and the on-board port never worked while the ADD2 was installed.

Playing around, everything behaved like it did when I originally installed the board- when I moved both displays to the ADD2, the two ports on the ADD2 behaved erratically: the displays would either alternate unpredictably (one port working sometimes, the other at other times, no pattern seen for predicting which one would work, never both ports working simultaneously, sometimes neither port would work and I would need to reset/power cycle.)

Do you think the on-board DVI would behave differently if I had a single-head ADD2? Or are there any other ADD2 vendors that you've seen work reliably with your mobos?

BTW, the on-board DVI does work fine when there's nothing plugged into the PCIe-16 slot.

In all honesty, I had given up on using the on-board graphics, but any tips on getting it to support dual-DVI is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Frank

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank

Let me do some testing. I setup a DG45ID motherboard with Windows Vista* Ultimate and SP1 with all the patches. I will round up a couple of ADD2 cards and get back to you with my results.

Thanks

Robert

* Product and vendor names are copyrights/trademarks of their respective companies.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Frank

OK,, here is what I found.

Anytime you install an ADD2 card into the x16 slot it will disable the DVI port on the MB, this is expected behavior as only one SDVO device can be active at a time.

In this scenerio the Intel Graphics is still the active graphics controller.

Using a DVI to VGA adapter will enable you to use the onboard graphics with a display connected via VGA. You then can use an ADD2 card in the x16 slot to connect a second display via DVI.

Also, You can use the onboard DVI (or DVI to VGA converted) and the onboard HDMI to have two displays.

As for a dual DVI ADD2 card, I was not able to find a SI based card however, I did round up a Dual DVI Chrontel* based card and was able to use both ports on it in a dual DVI configuration without any issues. It is possible that the SI based card you have is defective.

If you plug a discrete PCIE Graphics adaptor (NVidia*, ATI*, etc) into the x16 slot, it will disable the Intel Graphics controller.

Here is a quick table of how I was able to connect 2 displays in either Extended Desktop or Dual Display Clone.

Onboard DVI + onboard HDMI = dual displays

Onboard DVI converted to VGA +HDMI = dual displays

Onboard DVI converted to VGA + ADD2 DVI = dual displays

ADD2 Dual DVI = dual Displays

Try using the DVI to VGA adapter that came with the motherboard and DVI one on the ADD2 card you have and see if that works. If you cant get that configuration to work I would suggest returning the ADD2 card and trying a different brand.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Robert-

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delay in responding. I actually ordered a new ADD2 card immediately after your last post (2 weeks ago), and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, I saw a new BIOS for the DG45ID was just released, and according to the release notes, it updates the onboard video. So I updated the BIOS, and knock on wood, the initial dual-DVI ADD2 card, which I had absolutely NO luck in getting to work before, appears to be working fine now. I'll re-post if things start flaking out again, but it's looking like there was a problem with the old VBIOS (1704) and some ADD2 cards, which seemd to be addressed with the new VBIOS (1760).

So if you don't hear from me again, you can assume it's smooth sailing here. Thanks again for the help!

Frank

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Great news Frank!!! Very glad to hear it's working now.

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos