Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

DQ57TM/I5-660 AMT Provisioning

MSwee5
Beginner

Hi,

I have the combination mentioned above (Intel DQ57TM/I5-660 ). I've configured the system for AMT via the activator from the SCS lite package. The configuration works fine for AMT V5 features. I'm unable to connect to the ME via VNC. I've tried tightVnc and RealVnc. I know there isn't a network issue as I can connect to a Vnc server running under Windows when the system is booted up. I can see the sending system packets via wireshark, but have no clue how I'd tell if the ME was receiving them.

One thing I've notived is that RPAT goes from enabled to disabled whenever I reconfigure the ME.

So the question is should I be able to get remote KVM with this combination and provisioning method? Is there a filter that needs to be disabled in the ME? So far I've tired ports 5900 - 5910. Is there a non-standard port to use?

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

It can work. The trick is there are a couple extra things to enable in AMT firmware that SCS lite doesn't currently have support for. If all goes to plan, I will post a /docs/DOC-4080 use case reference design tomorrow outlining steps for this extra configuration. I'll update you tomorrow.

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Jake,

Thanks, I'm assuming then that any of the Vnc clients are suitable and that the defualt port is correct. If there is anyway to get the information prior to tomorrow, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matt,

I would like to ask you if you are using provisioning method "Enterprise" or "Small / medium business"

Just as a reminder, if you are using "Small / medium business" provisioning, the required port for this method is (16992)

Also please make sure that the software that you are running (tightVnc* and RealVnc*) has built-in Intel AMT capabilities.

Thank you,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Adolfo,

The BIOS with AMT v6 extenstions provides either local or remote configuration, it doesn't provide for Enterprise or SMB configuration. The BIOS with AMT V5 extension provided that setting. Configuration is preformed via the Activator portiion of the SCS light software. The config is peformed via a USB key.

Also are there specific extensions tht are required for the VNC client to work with the ME? I wasn't aware of that.

I can access the ME vi port 16992 or through the DMK

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Matt,

According to the following document:

http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4354

On page 6, there is a note that says as follows:

"Note: Intel AMT 6 adds new features, such as KVM"

So since you have AMT V5, this means that it does not support KVM.

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

Matt, give this a read. /docs/DOC-4795 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4795 It should answer your questions and get you up and running with KVM Remote Control. Note: it walks you through using MEBx to setup & configure AMT. However, the method you used should work just fine. Still, you might want to step through the MEBx settings to just to be sure they match and to get a feel for what they do.

RE KVM extenstions: there's two answers. The docs covers it but real quick - first to use KVM Remote Control you must enable it in the firmware. This is a little like installing / setting up a remote control server in your OS...gotta turn it on, give it a password, etc. This is done remotly and the doc will step you through it. If you have a vPro enabled viewer (called an enhanced viewer in doc) most likley it would do this for you.

The second part is that KVM Remote Control is RFB 3.3, 3.8, and 4.0 compliant. So any compliant viewer should work. AMT listens on port 5900. Then enhanced part is that AMT can also tunnel the session over the redirection ports (16994/16995) to add TLS and enhanced authentication support. For this you'd obviously need an enhanced viewer.

I'm anxious to hear how it goes, please let me know. If Qs arise, I

0 Kudos
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

BTW - if you're looking for an enhanced viewer, check this out! /community/openportit/vproexpert/blog/2010/02/04/vnc-viewer-plus-enabling-remote-access-to-the-2010-intel-core-vpro-processor-family http://communities.intel.com/community/openportit/vproexpert/blog/2010/02/04/vnc-viewer-plus-enabling-remote-access-to-the-2010-intel-core-vpro-processor-family

It'll configure the firmware for KVM use automatically and it supports power control & IDE-R!

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Jack,

Thanks, I';ve tried the steps in the document, but still no joy.

I've run Wireshark and I can see the config commands going across from the console to the client. I can see the VNC request go across but there is still no response.

I also setup AMT with a different IP address than the Operating system so I could try running a VNC server on the OS and connecting to it (which works). Do you know what happens if the OS is running a server on 5900? Does the ME win or does the OS win or does something else happen?

So I can still connect via a browser and port 16992, so I know I have some of it right.

I'll look over the document and see if I missed anything.

Thanks for the help

Matt

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Jack,

THANK YOU! I'm not sure what I did, but while trying to decode the network traffic sent over from the kvm.hta app, I manage to make it work. I can see the red border and the flashing connected icon in the upper right of the client. The only issue left is that my VNC client is showing a black screen (tried RealVnc,TightVnc and ChickenoftheVNC ona Mac). I'm sure that will be justa setting somewhere, or I'm wondering if it is the Opt In portion of the KVM connection.

Anyways Thanks again for the help.

Matt

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Jake,

Apologize for the constant posts, but I haven't figured a good way to deal with the delay this forum imposes. Anyway I saw your video on Youtube (great video btw) and noticed that you get a second login window after the VNC auth. I'm not seeing that login window. Is that a result of your configuration or should I see that also? I'm using RealVNC Free edition V4.1.3. I do get Intel(r) AMT KVM in the title of the VNC viewer window

Thanks again

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Jack,

Thanks again, I figure it all out. Now I have a working AMT v6 setup. The last bits (black screen in VNC ) were fixed with a reboot of the AMT client, so it must have been a windows setting that got stuck.

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried JollysFastVNC on the Mac ? I'm the developer of JFVNC and if it does not work would like to extend it to get it working with AMTv6.

Drop me a mail how it works - Regards Patrick aka Jolly

---

author of: ScreenRecycler, JollysFastVNC, SmartSleep, SmartSokoban and more.
0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Patrick,

I haven't tried your product yet. I'm working from a Macbook 2.4GHz Core2Duo with 4GB ram and MacOSX 10.6.2. I'll give it a shot and let you know what my experince is. Also if there is somethign specific you want to test, let me know. I working on a capella test platform also, so I'll have a couplev5 targets and a couple v6 targets.

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Does anyone know how a dual monitor setup will be displayed with KVM, or how VNC viewer plus will behave in such a scenario?

Also, what about add-on graphics cards - will KVM be possible, can AMT handle the frame buffer of "external" graphics too (or does it only work with the integrated core Intel graphics)?

just wondering.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

VNC Viewer Plus will allow you to choose which monitor you wish to display and switch during the session. This is a feature supported at hardware level by AMT 6.

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Dennis,

AMT is a built into the hardware so external adapters won't be seen via AMT. For V6 you need a chipset, NIC, and a CPU that had embedded graphics (you can check out which chipsets/CPUs have these features on http://ark.intel.com).

The board I have has multiple display outputs that are driven by the graphics integrated into the CPU, (DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI) I was able to configure the system with 2 independent displays via the DVI ports.

When you connect to a multi-headed system you are presented with a screen that allows you to choose which display to control. See the attached file for a screen shot.

I didn't find an easy way to switch between, disconnecting and reconnecting works. I'm using the standard VNC viewer, I can't speak to the VNC viewr plus (yet anyways)

HIH

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Matt - VNC Viewer Plus will be coming out in the last week of February. I'll post a note on here when it's available and you'll be able to test if you're keen?

All the best,

Adam

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Thanks Adam, looking forward to testing it!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for all your quick replies.

In the meantime I was able to test KVM redirection on a test system at work (followed the instructions in the UCRD) and have a working demo system now ("VNCviewer Free" running inside a VirtualPC on separate system, and target system DQ57TM/i5-650 running WinXP SP3), being encouraged by mbsween's picture I also tried a dual monitor setup (works too) but when I connect to the second screen I cannot use mouse or keyboard. Video redirection works well though.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm asking since we deal alot with dual-monitor setups. and it would be interesting to know whether we'll be able to do out-of-band support for them with AMT 6.0 / KVMoIP in the future.

(I also would very much like to know if/how the new "VNCviewer Plus" will handle dual-screen setups?)

Thanks for taking the time to read all my questions.

Oh, and I think I like this feature very much!!

0 Kudos
MSwee5
Beginner

Patrick,

JollyFast VNC is Jolly good! Seems to be reliable as any of the others and the smart zoom feature is awesome! Is there any chance you'll integrate power control features so that a user doesn't have to split time between the web interface or DTK and the VNC application? Or is that even possible?

Thanks

matt

0 Kudos