Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Disable QST on DG965WH Motherboard

idata
Employee

I'm not particularly fond of the Intel QST variable fan speed system on my Intel DG965WH board. There is nothing in BIOS to shut off QST so I could get the fan to run at full speed. Max speed on my fan is 2800 rpm and just sitting doing nothing it runs about 500-800 rpm. I would rather it just run full blast all the time. The only time I have ever seen the fan run maximum is during a stress test on the CPU.

The only thing in BIOS for fan control is: Aggressive, Normal, Slow. That its. Damping: High, Normal.

The heatsink fan is a 4 pin connector straight to the motherboard.

Anyone have any ideas on how to shut off Intel QST or some way to give the fan full power all the time.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Same issue with mine. I'd love use of the full capacity of my cooler. I've had the proccesor temp to 65C and the fan is running at 1300.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can connect your 4 pin fan connector to one of the three pin fan connectors on the motherboard and it will increase fan speed to about 50% at idle. This will drop your idle temp less than 10 degrees C at idle. The 4 pin connector is compatible with the three pin case fan connectors.

Or you can do something like I did. I used an adaptor to run the CPU fan at full speed directly from the power supply. I also added a couple of case fans. Temp drops about 20 degrees C at idle. The main thing is to have a good power supply unit. Same thing with case fans. Use adapter to run at full speed from power supply with fans pumping outside air into the case. Noise is not a problem if you use good case fans. CPU fan is not loud even at full speed (approx 3000 rpm).

Keep in mind that Pentium D processors run a little warm.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It may be down in the maintenance menu which is u can access by disconnecting power cord then removing the Bios maintenance Jumper then connect the power cord and start. In Bios Maintenance Tab will be added i think it has the option of doing so Then save & exit. Then disconnecting power cord then Make sure u replace the gumper exactly as it was. thats it.

I have never tryed it but hope it works.

Regards,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Intel(R) QST is designed to minimize system acoustics and psycho-acoustics (patterned noise, etc.), while still maintaining system thermals to acceptible levels. If the fans are being slowed, it is because the system does not need the fans running any faster to provide adequate cooling. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want their fans running any faster that is necessary. Why would you want to put up with the extra noise? If the system (processor, chipset, etc.) heats up to levels that require additional cooling, QST will speed up the fans at that time. You are not losing any reliably or performance as a result...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you look at the thermal management table on the 775 multi core CPUs and have read the temp noted above. The fan should be running faster than stated as the the closer you get to max case temp the more critical cooling is OVER that of sound cociderations. Not knowing the cpu series I'm guessing it is not the E6 Duo series as their max is mainly below 62 and no metion of system failure was made.

My 965 will does not bump up the RPM even when temp has gone towards the max (stays at 700), Even with replaced fan same issue.
0 Kudos