Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Does your motherboard need to support vPro [lenovo]

NTheD
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I've been relatively ignorant to the fact that vPro exists, and only just started looking into it. I work at an IT help-desk and stumbled upon it, really.

We typically run with Lenovo T-series notebooks here, and they run a variety of setups (hardware). This specific machine runs an i7-7600U.

While I was setting up a brand new T470, I was using Lenovo's update utility and it wanted me to install both the Intel Management Engine firmware and software.

So looking into it, I figure it's something like a server motherboard's IPMI; a web panel that allows you to restart/shutdown, remote control, monitor hardware, etc.

I thought this would be a really useful feature, let me see if I can get it going.

Looking at the ARK Intel page for the specific CPU on this T470, I see a YES next to vPro. This means that the CPU that Intel make, supports this technology, correct?

The internet tells me that I need to use the key combo CTRL + P during startup to launch into the utility/configuration for it. Pressing that combo at (or before) the Lenovo splash screen shows a message something along the lines of: "Launching Intel ME utility". But then goes to windows.

I look at bit closer at Lenovo's website and I see this travesty:

Based off of this, looks like you only get vPro if you buy the mid tier i5.

So my question is: Does Lenovo control whether you use vPro based off of your motherboard? Given that all 3 of these Intel chips support it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello NotLarry,

We have updated the subject and/or description to remove any personal information and to make the issue/request more specific.

For a more detailed information on compatibility with vPro will be with Lenovo.

And yes Lenovo can disable the vPro support by not adding all necessary options on the BIOS.

If the Lenovo Specs says that it supports i5-7300U with vPro then it should.

But also the BIOS requires some additional options:

• Intel® VT-x capable BIOS (required; disabled by default, can be enabled)
  • Intel® VT-d capable BIOS(required; disabled by default, can be enabled)
  • Intel® TXT capable BIOS (required)
  • TPM 1.2 Capable BIOS (Can be removed to meet certain import restrictions)

The best option will be to contact Lenovo Support to ensure that the CPU is compatible and the BIOS.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello NotLarry,

We have updated the subject and/or description to remove any personal information and to make the issue/request more specific.

For a more detailed information on compatibility with vPro will be with Lenovo.

And yes Lenovo can disable the vPro support by not adding all necessary options on the BIOS.

If the Lenovo Specs says that it supports i5-7300U with vPro then it should.

But also the BIOS requires some additional options:

• Intel® VT-x capable BIOS (required; disabled by default, can be enabled)
  • Intel® VT-d capable BIOS(required; disabled by default, can be enabled)
  • Intel® TXT capable BIOS (required)
  • TPM 1.2 Capable BIOS (Can be removed to meet certain import restrictions)

The best option will be to contact Lenovo Support to ensure that the CPU is compatible and the BIOS.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.