Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

HP dc7700: ME can not be configured to use AMT

idata
Employee

Hello.

I have a DC7700 here, which passes the "Intel vPro Technology Test Utility" ( denied:javascript:openExternal('http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1171# Intel_vPro_Technology_Test_Utility),') http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1171# Intel_vPro_Technology_Test_Utility), but there is no menu in the ME to actually configure it.

I successfully configured DC7800 and 7900 in basic mode with fixed ip-adress, so i have some experience concerning the involved menus.

I updated to the latest bios-version and the latest me-version, but this achieved nothing.

One thing is a bit special, we are running a custom bios-setup with customized pci-irqs. i attached the file "cpqsetup.txt".

Anybody seen this before?

Thanks & bye
0 Kudos
22 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

I believe the HP systems have an option to disable AMT from the F10 BIOS menu.

• Have you looked around for any AMT-related options in the BIOS configuration?
  • Are you able to enter the MEBx on the dc7700?
  • Can you run MEinfowin from Windows and report back what the BIOS and ME versions are?

Trevor Sullivan

Systems Engineer

OfficeMax Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, I have not tried "MEinfowin" because I didnt know such a tool exists. Where can it be downloaded?

>Are you able to enter the MEBx on the dc7700?

Yes, but i can not configure Manageability Feature Selection, like I did on the dc7800 and dc7900.>

• Have you looked around for any AMT-related options in the BIOS configuration?

I cannot find them....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your help.

Please excuse any strange formatting.

On both dc7700 i have accessible, meinfowin from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67953.html does not work.

c:\1DRIVERS\WIN\ME>MEInfoWin.exe

Error: The operation failed due to an internal error.

---------------

However, on a (perfectly working) dc7800 the tool from above brings the following messages:

Is this the information you want?

Intel(R) MEInfo Win Version: 2.5.0.1032

BIOS Version: 786F1 v01.24

Intel(R) AMT code versions:

Flash: 3.2.2

Netstack: 3.2.2

Apps: 3.2.2

Intel(R) AMT: 3.2.2

Sku: 14

VendorID: 8086

Build Number: 1033

Recovery Version: 3.2.2

Recovery Build Num: 1033

Legacy Mode: False

Link status: Link up

Cryptography fuse: Enabled

Flash protection: Enabled

Last reset reason: Global system reset

Setup and Configuration: Completed

BIOS Mode: Post Boot

Dedicated Mac Address: 00-0xxx

Host Mac Address: 00-0xxxx

FWU Override Counter: Always

FWU Override Qualifier: Always

FW on Flash Desc Override: Disable

Kedron Driver Version: Not Available

Kedron HW Version: Not Available

Error: UNS Version Information is not available.

Error: LMS Version Information is not available.

HECI Version: 3.0.30.1086
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Are you running Windows Vista? If so, I've seen that error on systems with UAC enabled. If you are using Vista, try launching your command prompt as administrator and try again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

no, we are running XPpro SP2 and SP3.

The machine with SP3 is really update concerning windowspatches.

In the http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/7tr609ww.exe 7tr609ww.exe linked at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67953.html there is a "meupdate.bat" included, which _i_suppose_ is meant for IBM Thinkpads. It is safe to be run on a dc7700, too?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

and, i do not have a "serial over lan" device in windows device manager, like i have on the newer dc7800 and dc7900.

I don't know if its a requirement or not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You only want to run AMT firmware updates provided by your OEM. I would not advise you use a Lenovo update on a HP.

If you don't see the serial over LAN port, and getting an error when running MEInfo, it sounds like you are missing the AMT drivers for your system.

There are two driver packages you need to download from HP. the HECI (Host Embedded Controller Interface: and LMS/SoL (Local Management Service / Serial over LAN). Both of these can be found on their website. Once you have the drivers installed you should be all set.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

concerning bios- and me-versions we last applied was 3.04 from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3232028&prodNameId=3232101&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-63397-1 in this one file there is a bios-rom-update named ("7E1_0304.bin") and a me-update ("221_1034.BIN").

"Last applied" does not mean it was successfull, at least no error message occured.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> I would not advise you use a Lenovo update on a HP.

Okay, thanks, that was a wild shot, anyway.

> There are two driver packages you need to download from HP. the HECI (Host Embedded Controller Interface: and LMS/SoL (Local Management Service / Serial over LAN).

I think i have them installed, there are two services in the windows-controlpanel named "services" and there is a device under system devices using a "heci.sys", but windows does complain in a message box "amt not enabled".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried accessing the ME when the system is booting to ensure that it is running?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In an HP DC7700P (the Intel vPro capable SKU of the 7700 series) there should be an option in the BIOS under Advanced -> Power Options ->MEBx Setup Prompt to to change the value to either Hidden or Displayed. Displayed will give you the CTRL+P option at POST. After entering the Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) you should be able to select the Inte(R) ME Configuration menu, then select the Intel(R) ME Features Control to change the Manageablilty Feature Selection item to select "one, Intel(R) AMT or ASF.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> Have you tried accessing the ME when the system is booting to ensure that it is running?

yes, please see below.

> ... option in the BIOS under Advanced -> Power Options ->MEBx Setup Prompt to to change the value to either Hidden or Displayed

Yes, there is.

> then select the Intel(R) ME Features Control

There is no such menu at the DC7700 i have (tried three). At the dc7800 and dc7900 there is such a menu and i used it successfully.

Ive tried a clean install of windowsXP, has not helped so far, still no "serial over lan" device in windows device manager.

I opened a case with HP (Case ID is 1604313591), and was promised a callback, which has not happened so far. I'm less than impressed. The intel tool says "vpro fully capable", but the hp-support-person says "maybe you are located in a country with is embargo'ed from using strong technology" (Last 40 years the company i work for is located in western europe). And recommended installed a software-package ( sp38117.exe, download link at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=454811&prodNameId=447280&swEnvOID=2096&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ir-68518-1 which does not mention compatibily with a dc7700 or dc7800 or dc7900 ), but he was unable to actually provide usage instructions for the package. Did i mention that i am less than impressed - with HP support. Not with this great forum.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you do not see the Intel(R) ME Features Control menu after entering the MEBx, via CTRL+P I would suspect that the Intel(R) ME Configuration -> Intel (R) ME State Control is set to Disabled. When you Enable this and the system reboots and you then should see the full menus. At least the DC7700P systems that I have work this way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> Intel(R) ME Configuration -> Intel (R) ME State Control is set to Disabled.

I checked. it is set to enabled.

The one thing that puzzles me is that under "me features control" there is only _one_ menu item "intel quiet system technology".

I _cannot_ find a menu item to set the management technology, for example "asf" or "amt".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the MEBx version 1.1.8.0000?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I applied the update you linked to, but still no menu in the MEBx and no "intel serial device" in WindowsXP-Devicemanager.

I talked at greath length with HPsupportguy on the phone, but he had _zero_ explanation why the "Intel vPro Technology Test Utility" ( denied:javascript:openExternal('http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1171# Intel_vPro_Technology_Test_Utility),') http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1171# Intel_vPro_Technology_Test_Utility), says the machine can to vPro, but there is no menu in the MEBx and no AMT-menu in the main BIOS (under "advanced"). He actually connected to my desktop and ran the "Intel vPro Technology Test Utility" himself. Maybe the HPsupportguy does not speak my local language, but 5 green check marks are 5 green check marks, right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried another DC7700 to see if the problem persists across different systems?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Got a definitive answer for you... If you only see the Quiet Technology item in the MEBX you have a DC7700 (non-vPro) system, not a DC7700P (the P on this SKU indicates vPro technology). The system will pass the test because the chipset, processor, etc. is the correct version but the Intel AMT firmware is not on the board and the DC7700 you have is not Intel vPro capable.

0 Kudos