Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

HP dc7800 and dc7900: Options for bare-metal-setup via USB?

idata
Employee

Hello.

We have a few remote sites with a few dozend computers at each site and like to deploy AMT, mainly for the power-on/-off/reset-capabilities of the intel-tool remotecontrol.exe (in the testlab we used SMB-mode, or basic-mode, with fixed ip-adresses in an address pool separated from the fixed-addresses the operating-system). We do not have a server there and no remote access is possible (very strict security in place). The computers are brandnew, straight of out the box, and will only run WindowsXP. The computers are directly delivered to the remote site, at least until now.

We do not have a it-support-person in place (only a part-timer coming in on call a few hours per month), the locations are at least a two-hours-drive away, and only a very limited set of persons is allowed to enter the location where the computers are located.

This kind of remote sites is expected to grow significantly as we acquire more business with strict security in place.

So, how I can remotely deploy?

UPKU can only do one machine at a time, so I need a few dozend USB-Sticks.

Or are there other options I am missing right now?

Thanks & bye.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Offtopic: why does it say above the heading of this brandnew thread "1 right answer available and 2 helpful answers"?

So far, I am only talking to myself in this thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Offtopic: why does it say above the heading of this brandnew thread "1 right answer available and 2 helpful answers"?

So far, I am only talking to myself in this thread.

This gives you the ability to mark posts that you found helpful, and ultimately, answered your question. The idea is that if someone else has a similar problem and finds this discussion, they will be able to easily find the posts that solved your problem and save them some time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> Are static IP addresses a requirement for you, or is DHCP an option?

No, static IP addresses are not a requirement. we just liked to idea of having a fixed mapping "pc_05_room_07_" has _always_ this adress 111.222._07_._05_, even the DHCP-Server is down.

> Are you looking to just use basic (SMB) mode on these systems ...

We found SMB-mode to be good, because it does not require a server or a certificate or sql-server. Budget restrictions...

> Do you have any plans to adopt a management console...

No, no time or money for that.

> "...no remote access is possible..."

There is no network connection between the main office and the remote site(s). At the remote sites there is known working gigabit-ethernet-connection using the onboard-networkcards included in the dc7800 and dc7900. The remote site are "isolated" and can not talk to our main office or the outside world. That cannot be changed at all.

There is a means of automated software installs at each site, but i can not go into details.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There are a few options you can explore. I have a few questions to ask to help you form a strategy.

You said: "...no remote access is possible..."

Can you elaborate on this statement? Does that mean you cannot access these systems over your network at all, or do you do you mean you do not have a way to perform management tasks, like automated software installs over the network?

Are static IP addresses a requirement for you, or is DHCP an option?

Are you looking to just use basic (SMB) mode on these systems, or are you interested in standard or advanced security models?

Do you have any plans to adopt a management console, such as Altiris, SCCM, LANDesk, to take advantage of other AMT capabilities?

0 Kudos