Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Has anyone used vPro to watch PXE in action, because I can not.

MCJohn
Beginner

We are a DEll shop and using MeshCentral or MeshCommander with Intel management driver to be able to display the desktop, however when we us PXE and try to view it says it is in use and it will not display. Aany suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello MCJohn,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

When a PXE boot occurs, it can impact Intel AMT features that may be active at the time of the boot. This occurs because the PXE boot protocol requires that the boot client release the IP address at the end of the process. When Intel AMT shares its IP address with the host, Intel AMT also loses its IP address. The following features may be impacted when this occurs.

•  Storage Redirection – in the unlikely event that there is a Storage Redirection session active at the same time as a PXE boot, the session will be dropped immediately. The management console cannot recover until Intel AMT acquires an IP address. If this IP address is not the same as the released address, the console will have to wait for DNS registration of the new IP before it can reconnect.

•  SOL – as with USB-R, the session may be dropped, although SOL is less time sensitive and may recover if the platform receives the same IP address. Otherwise, the console will have to wait for DNS registration.

•  KVM – the behavior is similar to SOL: the session may be dropped, but if there is no activity on the management console side (keystrokes or mouse movements), the session may be maintained if the same IP is assigned. Otherwise, the console will have to wait for DNS registration.

•  Remote Access – the session with the MPS will be dropped, but Intel AMT will reestablish the session within two minutes.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MCJohn
Beginner

Thank you for the quick response.  We are using MeshCentral and Meshcommander does Intel have their own GUI interface that doe a better job?  We have over 5,000 Dell PC's with vPro and my question is do you have one driver that would work for all or is it model dependent or vPro chip dependent? The person that is running MeshCentral states that we are running the standard version of AMT is there a different version.  Thank you again...

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello MCJohn,

There is a Intel oficial tool, it is called the Manageability Commander https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27807/Intel-Manageability-Commander but it is possible that MeshCommander has more functions than that. You can test it and decide.

About the driver it is manufacturer dependent because if is provided by the OEM (Dell in your case) and not by Intel.

About the different AMT versions I think Dell releases some systems with connectivity limitations like no KVM and such. From the Intel side it is supposed to be one AMT only.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello MCJohn,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as closed. I will try to reach you as a very last time on next Thursday 3rd.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello MCJohn,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos