Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Intel AMT without dual IP addresses?

behbhelp
Beginner

Is it possible to configure Intel AMT without require two IP address for each device (the one the OS uses and the one AMT uses)?

One solution for me would be to provide a separate VLAN for AMT only and those would existing in a separate subnet for management only.

This wikipedia article implies that is possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_AMT_versions

However, searches online are implying that it is no longer supported after version 5.0 of AMT? Such as this post from 2018: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-vPro-Platform/Intel-AMT-and-VLAN-Configuration/m-p/626763#M7031

What is correct and what are my options?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

Just to confirm your question, you don't need to have 2 separate IP addresses for AMT and the host. When the OS is up, the OS controls the network information, when OOB, AMT takes over. Our recommendation would be to have LMS installed in order for the communication between the OS and AMT firmware to not have issues.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

As you correctly state, vlan is not supported by AMT since version 6 and later

About the need to have 2 separate IP addresses it is possible to share the same IP address (wired only)

Starting with Release 7.0, Intel AMT and the host can share a static IP address (wired interface only). There are two ways to do this:

o  Configure the Intel AMT IP address directly using the AMT_EthernetPortSettings and set the SharedIP property to true.

o  With Release 7.0, Intel AMT, in conjunction with the LMS (Release 9.0) or UNS (prior to Release 9.0), can detect the host IP address and synchronize the Intel AMT address to the host address (IPv4 only).

Note that using static IP addresses limits access to certain Intel AMT features that depend on the presence of a DHCP server.

A configuration where Intel AMT gets its IP address dynamically, while the host has a static IP, is invalid.

Earlier releases supported a configuration where the host has a dynamic IP and Intel AMT has a static IP. Starting with Release 7.0, this is an invalid configuration.

For more details you can check: Intel® AMT SDK Implementation and Reference Guide

Regards

Jose A.

behbhelp
Beginner

Thank you @JoseH_Intel. That is a very helpful answer.

The link you sent also says that I can have a shared IP that is DHCP (v4) between AMT and the host. This configuration will work for us. This is one easily works because the MAC address is the same for both or it just detects the response from our DHCP server as the NIC receives it, correct?

"Intel AMT and the host have a shared dynamic IP address (IPv4 only). The IP address is issued by a DHCP server on request by the host. Intel AMT either detects DHCP address requests and responses, or starting with Release 7.0, requests IP address updates via the Local Manageability Server (from Release 9.0) or the User Notification Service (UNS) (releases prior to 9.0)."

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

Let me research on your question and I will reply to you as soon as I have any updates

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

Just to confirm your question, you don't need to have 2 separate IP addresses for AMT and the host. When the OS is up, the OS controls the network information, when OOB, AMT takes over. Our recommendation would be to have LMS installed in order for the communication between the OS and AMT firmware to not have issues.

Regards

Jose A.

JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as closed. I will try to reach you by a last time on next Monday 1st. After that the thread will be automatically archived.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello behbhelp,

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.