Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Intel Management Engine v. 7.1.20.1119 driver or Firmware?

idata
Employee

Hello!

I am about to build my new intel system based on the Intel DZ68DB Motherboard which I decided to buy and the Core I5 2500K. First thing for me is to upgrade the Bios and Drivers, so that everything is up to date. There is something I want to ask.

As I was browsing in the Intel download center I located the Driver called " Intel Management Engine Driver version 7.1.20.1119" (Release date 08/29/2011). Is it the same as the "ME 7.1.20.1119 Firmware update" which is included in the latest v. 0032 Bios Update, or is it something different? Do i need them both?

Also I would like to know if it's better to update Drivers or Bios first. An answer from an expert (or everybody who knows) would be really valuable!

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Both drivers "Intel Management Engine Driver version 7.1.20.1119" and "ME 7.1.20.1119 Firmware update" are the same thing.

Regarding the BIOS update, I would not suggest to do a BIOS update unless there is a particular issue with your system, but if you still want to perform the BIOS update, then I would suggest performing first the BIOS update and then the drivers update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for replying Adolfo!

I just wonder. Since the BIOS update is meant to improve support,stability and overall performance, why should it be performed only in problematic situations?

Also I would like to ask what kind of BIOS update does the "Intel Integrator Toolkit" perform? Is it an express BIOS update or another type of BIOS update?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The reason that I recommend not to update the BIOS unless there is something wrong with the motherboard, is because updating the BIOS of the motherboard could be a risky task, there is always a possibility of damaging the motherboard.

Hence, I recommend updating the BIOS only of there is an issue with the system.

0 Kudos