Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

Intel vPro KVM on HP EliteBook 840 G8

GianluigiDV
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

the EliteBook 840 G8 (like the G7) are without an integrated Ethernet port to connect them to the LAN. Our actual docking solution for those models are HP USB-C Dock G2 and G5.

The bad surprise that I had yesterday is that Intel vPro (in particular KVM) doesn't work with the Ethernet port offered by the G2 and G5 docking solution.

So I'm wondering if for those notebook series the only option to use the Intel vPro KVM is through the Wi-Fi or if I need to use any specific adapter like the HP USB-C™ to RJ45 Adapter (V7W66AA).

We really like Intel KVM it is a huge help to provide remote support, with EliteBook 840 G6 it just worked thanks to the integrated Ethernet port but with the new G8 series this seems a mess...

Do you have any detail/suggest on how configure those G8 series?

Thanks a lot indeed!

Gianluigi

P.S. I posted the same message on the HP forum.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello GianluigiDV,

In regards your question you can check the following help article if you need assistance setting up AMT using WIFI:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/amt-developer-guide/top/wifi.html

We appreciate your feedback on your comment about the USB stick with the profile to provision AMT in Admin Control mode.

Regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello GianluigiDV,

In regards to your question, there are no USB (Universal Serial Bus) docks that are Intel® Management Technology capable. A USB dock should not “block” the ability to connect the network cable directly to the laptop.

We do recommend checking with HP if they offer an adapter for your HP EliteBook 840 G8 and also for integration.

You can also check the Intel® vPro™ Platforms/Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) Lab Setup Guide Video

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026592/technologies.html

Please let us know in case you need more assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
GianluigiDV
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

thanks for you prompt reply, unfortunately on the HP forum the support team is not equally responsive (I posted the same question on the HP site before to post it on the Intel forum).

However as far as I can understand from your answer in general the laptops without an integrated NIC cannot be reached from the LAN even with an Ethernet adapter over Thunderbolt port or USB-C, correct?

In the meantime I orderd and tried also the HP USB-C™ to RJ45 Adapter (V7W66AA) that is the only one listed on the flyer of the new HP EliteBook G8 series and in fact it doesn't work with Intel AMT, so I cannot use KVM with it as well. So I can put a cross over the LAN.

My last chance is to try through Wi-Fi, but that will be not easy because we use a RADIUS server, in the past I remember that Intel provided a feature in the drivers (Intel PROset Admin tool or something like that) to setup SSO and allow Windows to "share" the login information with AMT, but I don't know if that is still the proper way or if the tool evolved in the meantime... Do you have any suggest?

Finally, why Intel decided to drop the possibility to setup USB stick with the profile to provision AMT in Admin Control Mode?
It was so convenient for small companies...

Thanks,

Gianluigi

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello GianluigiDV,

In regards your question you can check the following help article if you need assistance setting up AMT using WIFI:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/amt-developer-guide/top/wifi.html

We appreciate your feedback on your comment about the USB stick with the profile to provision AMT in Admin Control mode.

Regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos