Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Low-power and cheap Serial-over-LAN processor?

idata
Employee

Hi,

we are building a low power medical device, on Q67 (or QM67) platform. Serial-over-LAN is the key, and I would like to use the cheapest dualcore possible. I do not need KVM or any other fancy stuff, just console redirection.

(we are currently on a Supermicro D525 board with IPMI, it has plenty of power, but want to get DVI in the same level as the board)

Is SoL enabled on a say Pentium G620T or even a celeron? Or do I need a fully fledged core i5 with full vpro and power consumption and price and...

Thanks, much appreciated,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

If I understand you correct, what you are looking for is a Intel Standard Manageabilty Processor which would be some Core i3's

As an example at the Dell site http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bpcts3&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=optiplex-990 http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bpcts3&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=optiplex-990

You will notice at the top it shows the i3 and if you scrool down close to the bottom it will show Intel Standard Manageabilty.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

thanks for answering - that Dell site is even more misterious: if you only add $15 for complete vPro, why is then a core i5 a whooping $85 more expensive? This would only show that Dell normally strips even Intel standard manageability. So does Lenovo, btw, you can only get full vPro.

Anyway: is there a nice table, that would show which functions of vPro (advanced vs. stanard manageability) does each processor support? And in conjunction with say DQ67EP, so a complete Intel system. Or am I asking to much from Intel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here is all the information that I can find.

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro# Relationships_between_Intel_vPro.2C_Intel_AMT.2C_Intel_Centrino_2.2C_and_Intel_Core_2 //content.dell.com/us/en/business/d/help-me-choose/hmc-systems-management //software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vpro-technology-faq/

Technology

Intel® vPro™ technology eligible CPUs*

Intel® Core™ i3 processors**

Intel® Pentium™ processors

Intel® Celeron™ processors

Intel TXT

Yes

No

No

No

Intel VT-d

Yes

No

No

No

Intel AMT

Yes

No

No

No

Intel Standard Manageability

Yes

Yes*

Yes

Yes

* Intel Standard Manageability Supports SOL and IDER with no support for KVM

Greg

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Greg,

thanks for the dig.

I am leaning towards the "you're probably right". I saw numerous posts saying i3 supports SOL and Pentium sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, Celeron even worse.

Still, from all official Intel memos, the only thing clear is as you say: Standard Manageability is available "by the chipset" and KVM is only enabled with i5 onwards. And I can only hope that SOL always is part of Standard Manageability. Still, I will have to try at least one board and see what happens. I am leaning towards a Celeron G530 and Q67 or maybe Q77 MoBo. Our deploy is in August, so I reckon B3 stepping will be out by late June...

Thanks,

Hemo

0 Kudos