Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Slipstreaming Intel Matrix Storage Drivers in XP

idata
Employee

I was hoping someone on this board could help me with slipstreaming Intel's latest Matrix Storage driver into an unattended XP install CD. I am looking to slipstream the files as TEXTMODE drivers, which should make the task easier. Unfortunately, all efforts to do this so far have resulted in failure.

First, before I tried anything, I slipstreamed SP3 into XP, copied my WINNT.SIF file to the I386 directory of the CD, and created a bootable XP unattended install disk that works like a charm. So I know the basic disk works.

Second, I modified this base XP install CD as such:

-At the root of the CD I created a directory called $OEM$ and then created a folder within that called TEXTMODE. Inside this $OEM$\TEXTMODE folder I copied the files from Intel's latest F6 floppy (f6flpy3286.zip):

TXTSETUP.OEM

iaahci.cat

iaAHCI.inf

iastor.cat

iaStor.inf

IaStor.sys

-In the I386 directory of the CD, I created a folder called $OEM$ and once again, copied the contents of Intel's latest F6 floppy (f6flpy3286.zip).

Note: So I now have two directories that hold the contents of Intel's latest F6 floppy: $OEM$\TEXTMODE and I386\$OEM$

-Then I modified the WINNT.SIF by changing the line OEMPreinstall=NO to OEMPreinstall=YES

-Finally, I added the [MassStorageDrivers]* and [OEMBootFiles] sections to the WINNT.SIF as below:

[MassStorageDrivers]

"Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]

TXTSETUP.OEM

iaahci.cat

iaAHCI.inf

iastor.cat

iaStor.inf

IaStor.sys

*The OEM entries under [MassStorageDrivers] came from the [SCSI] section of the F6 floppy's TXTSETUP.OEM file.

-After all this, I make a bootable CD like before and test it.

Now, technically, this should work. But each time I've tried it, I get the following error during XP's TEXTMODE install period:

"File TXTSETUP.OEM caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

Does anyone know what needs to be modified to get this to work?

BTW, I'd rather not use a program like nLite since it makes changes I'm not aware of and I would like to keep this as clean, simple and straightforward as possible.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Been chasing my tail on this problem as well. What I've found is that it seems you can only inject the SATA drivers from a distribution folder using the method you describe. Apparently there are differences in the way winnt(32).exe treats unnattend.txt/winnt.sif depending on where you deploy from. Unfortunately, I can't recall the reference. I have gotten it to work from a distribution folder but never from a cd/dvd.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ron,

Make sure to add the "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL" line to the [MassStorageDrivers] section in your WINNT.SIF or else the Windows install won't find the hard drive after reboot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Booya! Nailed it. My settings in Windows were correct, but my settings in Nero Burning ROM were off. After a tip-off from a user in the MSFN forums and a little experimentation, I figured out that I had to set Nero to burn in the ISO 9660+Joliet "File System" and the ASCII "Character set (ISO)" on Nero's "ISO" tab. Otherwise, either the dollar signs in the $OEM$ directory name were changed to underscores, the spaces in file/directory names were changed to underscores, or the Joliet file system was omitted completely. It works now and works well. And it wasn't Microsoft's fault...imagine that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I've got serious issues with integrating Intel SATA drivers in an unattended WDSA install. My problem is, we now have computers using different versions of Intel Matrix Storage drivers. Integrating one set is fine, but so far I've been unable to integrate both versions into the *.sif and txtsetup.oem.

One of the main problems here is, that the filenames (of the 2 different driver sets) are EXACTLY the same!

Any ideas how to merge the two intel matrix storage sets ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not sure as I personally would simply burn a separate disk for each Matrix/southbridge version. You'll have to do this in the future as new intel south bridges come out unless Intel decides to create a universal driver for all past and future Intel SATA southbridges.

Since that didn't answer your question, and I admit I don't know the answer, I'll point you to the MSFN forums here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php

and the Unattended Windows>Drivers forum would probably be the best place to post there:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=88

These are the guys that helped me get my issue sorted out and most of the slipstreaming issues were solved on these boards.

0 Kudos