Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Swarm Service dissappears, have to restart EMA Server - Intel EMA 1.9

Jools86
New Contributor II

We recently upgraded to Intel EMA 1.9.

We are getting the “Loading” message when trying to connect to any machine:

Jools86_0-1678724805612.png

Upon investigation we noticed the SWARM Server is not running on our Main EMA Server in NYC:

Jools86_1-1678724819357.png

Ajax Server starts reporting this error message:

Jools86_2-1678724831845.png

If I go to the London Server to check the SWARM server, it shows as running:

Jools86_3-1678724852501.png

But again the Ajax Server shows lots of Cannot connect to Swarm Server messages:

Jools86_4-1678724990176.png

and the Swarm Server is riddled with errors.

How do we fix?

We have had this issue before and only way of fixing was to reboot the MAIN EMA server.

Why does this happen and is there a better way of fixing than a Reboot.

Plus it looks like Load Balancing doesn’t help much in this scenario as connecting to any device is impossible until the Main EMA server is rebooted.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please let me review this information internally, and kindly wait for an update.

Once we have more information to share, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86,

Thank you so much for contacting Intel customer support,

Section 2.2 Performing an update installation gives the steps on how to update the software. You need to stop EMA services before doing the update on each server.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-distibuted-seve-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf#page=39

Additionally, the optional alternative to avoid rebooting is the restart of the services: IIS Admin Service and Intel EMA Platform Manager, but the same might be less successful than doing the reboot of the EMA server.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jools86
New Contributor II

Hi Victor,

We have already upgraded.

The question is "Why does the Swarm Service" keep dissappearing?

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86

Thank you for your response.

The reason the swarm service keeps disappearing is that the update to EMA 1.9 wasn’t completed by following the steps in Section 2.2 of our guide. In other words, you can either stay in version 1.9 and do the workarounds already discussed so the swarm server issue gets temporarily fixed or you can complete the update again with a newer version of EMA while following all the steps included in our guide.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jools86
New Contributor II

Hi Victor,

Thanks for this. However, I did follow the 2.2 steps. In fact, I created a very detailed Build Design with screenshots and notes of every step I followed.

Including Pre-requisite steps, upgrade process (identical), and post installation steps.

Is there a clear bug that occurs during the upgrade process pertaining to the Swarm Server? Is there a KB on this issue?

Julian

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86,

Thank you for your response.

In the attached document you will find the steps required to fix the swarm server issue. Please let us know if it works for you

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Jools86,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jools86
New Contributor II

Hi Victor,

SAML login was failing for me. Had to open a tkt to reaccess this forum, taken week.

I cannot access that .DOCx as my proxy prevents cloud storage access.

However I did fix this issue (I think) by setting the Intel EMA Service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" which looks likes it has fixed the issue.

So I think as the issue was occurring once per month, it was coinciding with our reboots, hence the change to the above.

0 Kudos